Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive information problems

• Please log in to reply

wilsonmt

wilsonmt

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
One of my techs is has to copy information from Hard Drives sent in to him to another Hard Drive. He does this all the time and most of the time he knows where the drive comes from. The question is, is there some field or registry on the hardrive that identifies what 'computer name' the drive came from so that if he does NOT already have this information he can identify it on the existing drive before copying the data? And if so, how can he see this information?

Thanks,
Mike Wilson
IT Support

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

OK, I did some digging and think I found it. You might be able to get the information in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\

wilsonmt

wilsonmt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help, to make this more clear to myself can you look at a registry file for a drive temporarily connected to another computer and if so how do you do this, I don't want to end up seeing the registry information for the drive that is the main drive for the desktop, just the add-on drive if that is possible?

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
I know what you mean. See if you can go into the Windows/WINNT folder for this drive (when it's mounted as a slave drive) and look for the regedit.exe file. Open it from there. See if that is the regedit for that machine. You can tell easily by looking for the computer name and see if it's the mounted hard drive computer name or the one you are using to copy the data files.

wilsonmt

wilsonmt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
greyknight17,
Thanks again for your response, but I'm afraid that doing that even via a DOS command appears to bring up the Registry for the 'local' machine which I assume is the C: drive. Again, thanks for your help.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
I'm stumped on this one. Wait and see if anybody else replies. Maybe others will know of another way to access this?

I assume the username is no good, only the computername? Otherwise, you can look under their profiles (documents and settings) for the username instead.