Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Various Ports for Hooking Up Monitors and What Each Means

• Please log in to reply

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi all,

Hope it's ok to just ask away, I was told about this place by a friend and thought I've give it a try. But I'm not computer literate AT ALL. Don't know if it's ok for someone like that to post here or not but here it goes.

I've got an Old Dell Dimension computer (nearly 10 years old) that still works but the monitor finally crapped out on me. So a good opportunity to buy a new one.

What I'm wondering though, is if I can set my new desktop right next to this one, and connect them both to the monitor since the monitor has multiple inputs, but I don't know what they all mean so I thought I'd better make sure before I do something I'll regret.

The only output on the old graphics card is VGA and DVI (I think??). The new graphics card I think will have DVI and HDMI outputs. Now I'm reading all the various inputs on monitors and came accross one labelled D-sub. Is that just another name for VGA?? That was question 1.

Next major question was the new computer will include a blue ray player and the new monitor supports true HD 1080 viewing. So I'm wondering a couple things. Do I have to use the HDMI hookups to get true HD blue ray movies? If so, is that ALL I have to hookup from the new computer or will I still need to hookup either a DVI or VGA (D-Sub??) also to get the needed performance from my high end games???

I'm trying to figure If I can just hook up my new computer to the new monitor with only the HDMI and then use the DVI or VGA (if it's the same as D-sub) to hook up my old one, or if I must use DVI or VGA on the new one as well in order to appreciate the graphics in the 1920-1080 computer environment???

I know it's probably a really stupid question but I told you I didn't know what I was doing.

Thanks for ANY insight and whether I get any or not hope all has a great weekend and Thanksgiving Holiday.

Thanks.

Joe Weakley

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
The best way to get fast help is to list the specs for your hardware.

First give the name and model# for the two computers and then give a name and model # for the new monitor.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Oh, okay.

SOrry, I was just asking in general what they meant.

I don't have any model numbers yet as I haven't purchased the new one yet.

Sorry about that.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I tried to delete the thread but was unable to.

Sorry about the mix-up.