Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Asus G73 CPU

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
My Asus G73 has the i7 720QM processor running at 1.6 ghz or I guess somewhat higher in turbo mode. Because of the Radeon 5870 with 1gb of DDR5, I can run pretty much any games I want on here and it runs them flawlessly at max graphic settings. Except for one. Apparently FSX is much more CPU dependent than most of the others so I have to turn stuff down quite a bit, which leads me to my question. I am just curious if the CPU in my G73 can be upgraded to something faster, say an i7 960 (which runs at twice the speed of the 720), or is the motherboard and bios proprietary to that CPU and it cannot be changed?

Edited by brettt777, 20 November 2010 - 10:28 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you will have to check at the ASUS website and see if your notebook will support it...it may draw to much power

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

...it may draw to much power

And/or generate too much heat - an inherent problem with all notebooks.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,762 posts
If this is your model, > http://rog.asus.com/...=32#product_tab Shows it ships with the Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 620M/820QM/720QM : 2.66 GHz - 1.6 GHz, so assume you could upgrade to the 2.66 GHz but kind find no upgrade information from the product page.

brettt777

brettt777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

If this is your model, > http://rog.asus.com/...=32#product_tab Shows it ships with the Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 620M/820QM/720QM : 2.66 GHz - 1.6 GHz, so assume you could upgrade to the 2.66 GHz but kind find no upgrade information from the product page.

That is my laptop exactly. So is it safe to assume that they all have the same motherboard and are therefore capable of supporting any of the mentioned CPU's? If you go by one of those CPU comparison pages, the 820QM would give me about a 10% increase in performance over the 720QM which is what I have now. I wonder if that's even worth the effort or cost?
The G73 has a turbo boost function. I think I read somewhere that what that actualy does is take my 1.6ghz quad core and turn it into a 2.8ghz single core. Is this really what that does? Because I I see very little difference in performance between the turbo and non turbo modes.