Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New installed programs won't run, old ones will

• Please log in to reply

TNF

TNF

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I just installed a new program (DVD FAB 8) and everything seemed fine. When I click on the icon to run it, the cursor activity thingy (little blue spinning circle) shows up as if something is about to happen, then it disappears and nothing happens.

This happened to another program recently too (Ralink Wireless Control Center), so it's not just this current one.

Programs that have already been installed for a while, are working fine.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, a very capable PC, and AVG free Antivirus (not windows security) is the only security running. That wasn't the case last week with other program though, I had uninstalled my AV to see if that was the issue... it wasn't).

I did install a new video card, that is the only change I made recently.

Any help ?

Thanks a lot.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Make sure any progs that won't run are compatible with Windows 7 by reading the info either on the software packaging or the notes on the relevant developers websites. If it doesn't specifically say it's ok on Windows 7 (actually been tested on Windows 7) there's no guarantee that it will. Although many progs written before Windows 7 was released will run quite happily, I've found a few that won't, and even the brand of CPU (AMD or Intel) has been known to be deciding factor in this.

A case in point in Photoshop CS3. Many Win7 users on the AMD platform have had problems with it (won't install or won't run) whereas very few Intel platform users have had that problem.

Also be aware that while most 32-bit progs will run on 64-bit Windows, there are some that will not.

You may want to visit the Microsoft Win7 compatibility centre website to check the official verdict on popular programs:
http://www.microsoft...us/default.aspx

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 24 November 2010 - 05:33 AM.