Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't see webpages even though internet is connected

• Please log in to reply

Aakansha Sharma

Aakansha Sharma

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

I have several problems with a hp pavilion dv6129TX laptop that belonged to someone else before and now has been passed on to us officially. I have no idea what that person did to it. I'm not in touch with that person and there's nobody else I can ask.

First of all, the internet seems to be connected but the webpages don't load. It has internet explorer and google chrome and the problem is there in both of them. I've tried several things but no luck! (the settings for automatically detect settings and obtain IP address automatically in TCP/IP properties are selected, as suggested in other forums.)

Second, the XP operating system installed on the laptop is not genuine. Every time windows starts there is an annoying dialogue box that asks me to resolve it. I'm guessing the laptop originally had vista installed on it but the laptop's previous owner switched to XP. I don't want to pay for it and was wondering if I can restore back to the factory settings. I don't have any restore CD's though.

Would appreciate some help! :D
Thanks

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
To determine if the HP Recovery Manager is operational, press the power switch to turn on the computer, and then repeatedly tap the [F11] key during the startup. If the Recovery Manager is operational, the computer will display a prompt to either (1) recover the operating system from files stored on the recovery partition, or (2) create a set of recovery discs.

More info:
http://h10025.www1.h...l&site=null#N72

Aakansha Sharma

Aakansha Sharma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry for the late reply. I tried pressing F11 while startup but nothing happened. Any other way to restore? And is there something I can do in the meantime for the webpages to load properly?

Thanks!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Recommend ordering a replacement recovery disc to restore the original, valid copy of Windows.

HP.com > Order Recovery Discs for Windows 7, Vista, or XP
http://h10025.www1.h...l&site=null#N72

--

GeeksToGo.com > Terms of Use
http://www.geekstogo...tion=boardrules

3. Geeks to Go Support Forum Rules, Policies and Disclaimers

... We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software illegally.

Aakansha Sharma

Aakansha Sharma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you SpywareDr!

Edited by Aakansha Sharma, 24 November 2010 - 05:10 AM.

Aakansha Sharma

Aakansha Sharma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I wanted to get rid of the illegal software myself, thats why I asked for help. Thanks once again!

Edited by Aakansha Sharma, 24 November 2010 - 05:12 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You're welcome. :D