Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 8 hogging resources?

• Please log in to reply

Levan

Levan

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello,

I still use IE for a lot of sites I've bookmarked. After it's been running a while, I'm unable to open links in a new tab. Also, my IE toolbar shows less options. Once that happens, I'm usually unable to copy text by right click > copy or paste, and have to CTRL C and V. It also limits my options in window explorer. Right clicking no longer shows an option to create a new text document, for example, and the other day, I was unable to open any folders on my desktop (even "my computer"), although I could still navigate within the already open folders. I couldn't even open task manager!

I started noticing this problem about a year ago after having one too many tabs open, and sometimes, just closing out a few tabs helps, but the problem seems to be getting worse. Clearing out my cookies and history doesn't seem to make a difference.

Closing out IE always solves my problem. It's almost like it needs to reboot or something in order to open new tabs and free up windows explorer.

I don't think it's malware, since I've had my system cleaned a few times here, and the problem has been there afterward. I just checked it for BHO's with Trend Micro CWshredder, and it didn't find anything.

The system in question is old (p3, 930 Mhz, 512 RAM, XP Pro service pack 3)

No problems with firefox.

Advertisements

LilDude772

LilDude772

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
No pun intended to those using it, But I've heard IE7 and IE8 have some kinda malware hidden inside of it once updated/installed..This may be your problem, also may not be.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

930 Mhz, 512 RAM

That's not enough for IE 8. I think you should stick with Firefox.

But I've heard IE7 and IE8 have some kinda malware hidden inside of it once updated/installed

Microsoft can't do that. Their code gets audited by multiple organizations. MS won't insert malware that way; even if they wanted to, I think they will use some kind of dodgy, hard-to-detect backdoor instead.

Still, IE is quite a resource hog.

tazz123

tazz123

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i think one simple solution is that update your IE to Internet Explorer 8, 9 is also available but its just for windows 7.. it have some features of toolbars which will help you out.. and save you from copy pasting..