Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB device not recognized in Vista

• Please log in to reply

bytesize

bytesize

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hi folks

pulling my hair out here looking for some fresh input. Got a friends laptop Packard Bell Argo c running Vista Home Basic restored it back to factory settings using restore partion on HDD and installed anothere 512mb ram that I had spare which has doubled the memory. Friend asked if I would take a look because it was running really slow and none of the USB ports seemed to be working. Did all the usual scans and followed the advice on GTG and checked for viruses, spyware found nothing. Lots and lots of programs installed and only 512mb ram, so doubled ram, did a factory reset, updated Bios, drivers and windows still no USBs working.

Tried various memory sticks, keyboards, mice and always the same thing "Installing device driver software" then "USB device not recognized" then "Unknown device the software has been installed correctly" and it shows up as unknown device under USB controllers. Found a lot of info on net about problem and tried lots and lots of fixes but to no avail.

Been working on this off and on for 3 days. Any ideas or help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements