Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP computer wont boot - flashing cursor, done evrything on here - stil

• Please log in to reply

TK1610

TK1610

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I recently updated my IOLO System Mechanic and part of this was to create a new restore date for Win XP. A few days after doing this, I got a warning from AVG about 2 .pdf files that were infected. I couldnt find the folder they were in, so started to hunt through my docs...then the computer shut down.

Rebooting it gave me a flashing cursor. Looking on geekstogo.com, I followed the instructions on this page

http://www.geekstogo...en/page__st__45

but this still didnt work and now I get the message that \windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt, so I made a boot up disk with UBCD4W as per the instructions on your page about UBCD4W and the computer doesnt even recognise my disk with an .iso file on it.

I need help to restore this damned config\system file please

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Did you write the iso file to the cd using burning software that can properly burn iso files to a cd (for example, Nero)?
If the cd just contains a copy of the iso file, it won't boot.

TK1610

TK1610

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Phil, I used the nero burn software on the computer but I think it just copied the file directly, not written it as an .iso file. I'm gonna have a look at that in a mo, at the moment I am trying this ...

http://www.geekstogo...ing-or-corrupt/

and am halfway through but safe mode wont let me access the System Volume Information folder.....grrrrr!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Phill is correct. The file needs to be burned as a image file not as a data or bootable disc file. It will not work any other way.

TK1610

TK1610

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have managed to get Safe Mode going after doing part one of the above forum entry, can i just go back in time to the last restore point now or do I have to continue with the instructions, I can't get into the System Information folder at all!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. pick the version and service pack option that corresponds to your system l
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r

when you get to the command prompt
type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete
it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
WARNING... Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process when it is used with the /r switch, and Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted.

DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...

if the above does not allow you to boot normally then try the steps below one at a time and only try the next step if you still can't boot normally...there is no need to do all the steps...just do them until you can boot up
nojoy...
boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press Enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

TK1610

TK1610

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey Happyrock et al,

Thanks for further posts....

I have managed to finish the instructions here http://www.geekstogo...ing-or-corrupt/ but my computer is hanging on the restart (something it does every now and again). The reason i couldnt get into the System Info folder is because my keyboard is usb and the usb didnt work in safe mode - doh! Fortunately I have a redundant old style keyboard!

Now the computer needs me to activate windows again, it hangs if I agree and shuts down if I decline to....is this normal?

TK1610

TK1610

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Where I have done this previously, I now have 4 different load identifiers and can't access the page to change between the two. How can I get rid of the three I don't want and find the one that I do need?

TK1610

TK1610

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Happyrock,

I tried the ARCCC and got the following BSOD

STOP: c0000139 {EntryPoint Not Found}
The procedure entry point LdrSetMuicacheType could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll.

Just as i thought I was getting somewhere!

TK1610

TK1610

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Now Ive tried to repair my Windows with the original disk and I get the system file missing again! tried the ARCCD and again BSOD with the above codes. My computer is totally buggered, unless I'm in safe mode! I dont have another hard drive to back everything up so cant reinstall windows.

TK1610

TK1610

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I managed to fix it now. If you have come across this post with the same roblem, try this:- http://social.answer...e1-812071bc759c

Luka's reply is what helped me, I had SP3 installed and IE8 and my repair disk had SP2 and IE6. Computer wouldnt let me access microsft to register my copy of Win XP because IE8 (and ie7) were in conflict!