Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection

• Please log in to reply

Canary

Canary

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I recently rebuilt my laptop (a Dell Inspiron with Windows XP) after receiving help on these forums.

Everything is working properly again now, except that I am unable to connect wirelessly to the internet via my Belkin router.

I have just had a lengthy conversation with a nice chap from Belkin who did all he could to help me, but his ultimate verdict was that I need to reinstall the LAN card via the "motherboard CD" I got from Dell when I got my laptop.

The thing is, I have no CD that says it's a motherboard CD. And I bought this laptop more than five years ago - Dell are hardly going to send me anything I might need now.

Can anyone here tell me if I'll be able to connect wirelessly again, as I was doing before the recent problems on my computer?

Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
What model Dell Inspiron is it we might be able to find the drivers for you!

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi, and thanks for this.

It's an Inspiron 5160.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Here you are http://support.dell....n&catid=&impid= check under network and communications for the driver you require.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thanks again for this.

The thing is that there are 10 entries listed under Network. Do I need to download them all?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
No, only the drivers for the type of WLAN card you have installed, do you know the type of card fitted?
If you don`t know use PC Wizard to get some system information http://www.cpuid.com...ns-history.html

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi again - sorry if I'm being thick here, but I'm not sure what to look for on that PC Wizard site.

I don't know what type of WLAN card I have installed - I don't even know what a WLAN card is!

I guess that means I need the PC Wizard site, but as I say, I don't know what to do next.

Thanks again.

Edited: Ignore this post - I've now found it! Thanks - I'll now download the Broadcom driver.

Edited by Canary, 21 November 2010 - 02:53 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
If you look at the top right hand corner of the screen you will see an orange download icon, click on this and download it, when you get the square dialogue box in the centre of the screen click on it and it will provide you with a list of your hardware components including your WLAN card some info on WLAN cards can be found here http://en.wikipedia....ki/Wireless_LAN

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi - I've downloaded the Broadcom 440x from the Dell site as instructed, but now I've just got an icon sitting on my desktop. If I click on it, a window opens with a whole load of shortcuts in it. I'm not sure what I need to do next.

Thanks!

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Whoops - my mistake. I downloaded the HTML file rather than the Driver . . . I'm doing now what I should have done before.

Sorry - bear with me!

Thanks.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Right - I've made some progress, but now I've hit a brick wall.

The Belkin router is running correctly - all the correct lights are on - and I can connect to the internet via the router, but only when it's connected via the cable.

I have tried plugging the USB adapter in and connecting to the router wirelessly, but I'm having no joy. The light on the adapter (which is a Belkin adapater and which came with the router) is going green when it's plugged in, so it's definitely connected to the laptop OK. But I can't seem to go online wirelessly.

I've just spoken to someone at Belkin for the fourth time today - he is now saying that there's another problem with the driver, but I can't see what he means.

Does any of this make any sense to you?

Thanks again.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi - please can someone help me with the completion of the Broadcom installation?

I've got a folder on my desktop but I don't know what to do next.

Thanks in advance.