Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

opinions - Seagate GoFlex External HD 2 TB

• Please log in to reply

Nekoyasha

Nekoyasha

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi there! I hope I have this in the right forum, just let me know if you need to move it.
I've had some great help here from members in the past & just recently over the last few days removing some trojans.
I've been wanting to get another external HD, was likely going to get a 1 TB. Well, looked at some ads & when I stopped into Walmart yesterday, I picked one up. I thought it was a good price. I figured I could do more research on it at home before opening it. They just had 2 on the shelf, and online they are out of stock.
This is what it is:

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk External HD, 2 TB, USB 3.0 Plug-and-Play (USB 2.0 backwards compatible).

Upon looking up reviews, the USB 2.0 version did not sound so hot - lots of crashing, HD death after only a week or 2 of use, clicking noises (which the company said could be remedied by moving further from the computer). Some suggested with the clicking that it probably does not have good insulation.

Was hard to find reviews on the USB 3.0 version. CNET gives it an Editor's Choice pick, and you can watch a small video on it on their site. It said it's downfall is it can tip over easily & it runs hot, and no power off switch. That's what makes up for the good price they said.

What are your opinions? Price at Walmart was $119 - model # is STAC2000103
2 year limited warranty.

I was telling a computer friend about it today - he told me this, and I have heard something similar before - that he has never had good luck with computer products from Walmart, and that some products like this sold at Walmart are not as high-quality or up to par like if it were sold in Staples, Best Buy, etc. What are your findings with this?
I do know that Walmart has a habit of 'putting broken things back on the shelf after they've been returned' (witnessed it myself with a child's toy we returned). And, I know some products are specially packaged and sold in other forms for Walmart exclusively. (for ex: Iams cat food large bag is normally 20 pounds - Walmart is the only store that sells it at 14 pounds, and several other products). My friend also told me that you get less ink in the HP cartridges than if you buy them from the manufacturer directly (which this may apply to other stores & ink cartridge brands as well, I'm not sure).

Oh, and before I forget - this drive I will mainly use to backup photos, etc & to move stuff from my main computer to free it up (and at some point will back everything up onto DVD's). I did want to be able to shut the External HD off since I would not plan to use it so much - with it constantly on, couldn't this make it more vulnerable to a virus if I get hit? I have also renewed my Webroot Spysweeper Internet Security Essentials, and I don't do P2P either. My friend said turning the external HD on/off will kill it faster than leaving it on, which is what my father says too, and I believe I've read that here as well.

Thanks for any opinions!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Dupe

Nekoyasha

Nekoyasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Yup....I see now that it doubled. When I first submitted, I had a message at the top of my browser saying the site was offline (Cloud something? - and could be viewed, forgot the word, in some offline way until it was back up). I waited until it was back on a while later & posted. If an admin can delete this one, that's be appreciated. Thanks!