Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSVCP80.dll is missing...

• Please log in to reply

overclick.cn

overclick.cn

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi. Weeks ago, I was able to run Adobe Reader on my Windows 7 64-bit, but now whenever I run it, I get the following error:

"The program can't start because MSVCP80.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Even worse, now my VMWare Workstation is also saying the same thing.

I tried to look for a solution but none of those suggestions I tried worked so please help me stop this madness. Please. Thanks.

Advertisements

overclick.cn

overclick.cn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Could anyone please help me?

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I don't know if this will work or not, but it's worth a shot. :D

Can you obtain a copy of that file from a working computer? If so, you can drop a copy in the system32 directory. After copying the file, go to Start -> Run, type Command and press Enter.

Once the command prompt loads, type the following.

regsvr32 msvcp80.dll

Then try opening the program.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Please don't copy files from other working computers and also please don't download DLL files from so-called "DLL Archive" sites. Neither are guaranteed to solve the problem and the latter is simply asking for trouble.

If you have an Acer branded machine, uninstall the "eData Security Management Software" that comes bundled with Acer machines. This usually solves the problem.

Edited by Neil Jones, 30 November 2010 - 10:47 AM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Please don't copy files from other working computers

Can you expand on this statement? I've done it before with no problems. I'm curious why this would pose a problem provided you aren't grabbing files from a Windows 7 machine and trying to replace system files on a Windows XP machine.

and also please don't download DLL files from so-called "DLL Archive" sites. Neither are guaranteed to solve the problem and the latter is simply asking for trouble.

I never recommended the original poster try that.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Please don't copy files from other working computers

Can you expand on this statement? I've done it before with no problems. I'm curious why this would pose a problem provided you aren't grabbing files from a Windows 7 machine and trying to replace system files on a Windows XP machine.

This file appears to be part of MS Visual. It comes in several different flavours depending on which version you have, most programs bundle these key runtime files with them as they will use certain functionality contained within the file, because that's all a DLL file actually is - a collection of routines that any program on the machine can call.

If you have a program that uses the file and you replace the .dll file with an older version of a file that doesn't have the routine needed, the program will stop working. Just replacing one file can have knock-on effects and the general recommendation is, if the program came with the file that's needed, rather than pinching a copy from somewhere else, reinstall the program in question and it should replace the file with an appropriate version.

and also please don't download DLL files from so-called "DLL Archive" sites. Neither are guaranteed to solve the problem and the latter is simply asking for trouble.

I never recommended the original poster try that.

I know. I added it for the sake of completeness :D