Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SCVHOST.exe infected Malicious URL 199.80.55.........

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts
We don't have a choice where it's installed, it will go to the active partition. Some malware may well have damaged the original installation. I think your second partition should be considered suspect anyway now, as you said, HAL is corrupt. Let me know what you'd like to do

Advertisements

DarkPhase

DarkPhase

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I'd like to reinstall/repair the recovery console as I'll need it for any serious infection, But I'd like to try to reinstall it back to the recovery partition becuase I'm low on space on my main partition and if anything happens on the main I'll have the recovery partition for recovery etc. Also i went and checked again and to see exactly thing it says It's missing and it is <root/System32/hal.dll just to confirm on what it is.

Edited by DarkPhase, 01 December 2010 - 05:06 PM.

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

I'd like to reinstall/repair the recovery console as I'll need it for any serious infection, But I'd like to try to reinstall it back to the recovery partition becuase I'm low on space on my main partition and if anything happens on the main I'll have the recovery partition for recovery etc. Also i went and checked again and to see exactly thing it says It's missing and it is <root/System32/hal.dll just to confirm on what it is.

That's something I can't help you with. You can try http://www.geekstogo...p-2000-2003-nt/ for advice on the recovery console, and then we'll try again, but I can't help you if you feel you can't follow my instructions. Sorry.

DarkPhase

DarkPhase

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I'm willing to follow but I'm wondering what to do about my current recovery partition and where to install the recovery console. Whether i should install onto my C drive or find a way to repair the one on my recovery partition.

Edited by DarkPhase, 02 December 2010 - 05:49 AM.

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts
That's out of my area of expertise, you could try the XP forum first and I'll keep this thread open until you've decided what to do

DarkPhase

DarkPhase

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I guess I'll see what they say then, I'll keep you updated.

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

I guess I'll see what they say then, I'll keep you updated.

Cheers

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :D

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.