Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cd/dvd/floppy only recognized upon startup

• Please log in to reply

Goko

Goko

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Hewlett-Packard Pavillion 8670c running WinXP, 600MHz Pentium III, 256MB Ram, Award Medallion BIOS v. 6.0.
I have recently started having a problem where my floppy drive, CD-RW drive and DVD Rom drive will not recognize any new media inserted once the OS has started. For me to change disks, I have to insert it in the the appropriate drive and restart the computer (of course the floppy drive is a bigger problem since the system wants to run a system disk upon rebooting). The system will tell me the A, D or E drives are inaccessible (e.g. "E:\ is not accessible Incorrect Function"). I can put a disk in the drives and the drives attempt to access them, even going as far as to change the drives identification under My Computer from "CD-RW Drive (D:)" or "DVD Drive (E:)" to "CD Drive (D:)" or "(E:)" respectively after a brief two second activity with the hourglass icon popping up a couple of times. The Device Manager indicates the devices are operating properly and the drivers are up to date.
I can work around this problem, in most cases, by restarting the computer, but I can't install any software that requires me to swap disks.
Can someone help me, please? To everyone who responds, I thank you in advance!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
Have you tried to perform a system restore from before the problem began?

Goko

Goko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, I attempted to restore to an earlier point, but it didn't help.