Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

KatW

KatW

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello,

For some reason I can receive emails but when I try to send and email I get the following error.

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'Re: Instant Messaging', Account: 'mail.thumb.net', Server: 'mail.thumb.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 relay not permitted', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Now I use this email address at home and at work. When I use it at work it is fine and I can send out fine but when I try and send an email it just sits in the Outbox.

I have contacted my ISP and he can not figure out why it will send out at work and not at home.

I have had my computer checked for Malware (through this website) and it is all clear now but I still have this one problem.

So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,

KatW.

Advertisements

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
When I first got DSL, I had problems with my new adres. It didn't work in Outlook or Outlook Express. Then, I put the exact same info into Thunderbird, and tada! Works like a charm now. :tazz:

KatW

KatW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks I will take a look.

KatW.

angels-high

angels-high

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi

I have the same problem and have tried thunderbird but to no avail. Keep getting server time out problems when connecting

KatW

KatW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello,

I downloaded Thunderbird and everything imported well but when I try and send I still get a error message.

"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: relay not permitted. Please verify that your email address is correct in your mail preference and try again."

I just can not figure out what the problem can be any ideas?

Thanks,

KatW

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Is the email account you are trying to use here the one assigned to you by your isp - ie: their username, password and email servers??

Murray

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
If you are sure you have a valid email address and your account settings are fine then check with your ISP to see if it's being blocked because of an open relay.

KatW

KatW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Murray,

Yes, it is the same email address that I have had for years but for some reason I can not send anymore. This started maybe a week ago. Now the ISP is trying to find out what is going on at his end and I am trying at my end but we can not seem to find the problem.

Thanks,

KatW.

KatW

KatW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Kat,

I will tell him to look for a open relay.

Thanks,

KatW.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Go into your email account and check the smtp and pop server settings.. If those are correct, make sure the "my server requires authentication" is checked..

Next, click on the settings tab right beside the authentication post and make sure the "use the same settings as my incoming server" is checked..

Apply and okay out..

Murray

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
I'm my experience the "server requires authentication" does not need to be checked.

Do you use the same outgoing server as your incoming?
(example: you have a pop3 account with abc isp, but you are using your connection to 123 isp to connect to the internet)

In this case your incoming and outgoing servers would be different.

I'd still have your isp check and see if the message was blocked because of an open relay.

(an open relay is used by spammers, and many isp's will block messages sent by open relay)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
katkat:

Some ISPs restricts access to the SMTP servers to authenticated IP addresses only. You have to successfuly login into ISP's POP3 server firstly and then you can use ISP's SMTP server for some time period (cca 30 minutes).

Every ISP in my neck of the wood's has this requirement and more and more are getting into it.. Stops some spamming attempts when using a proxy to go through your email server!!

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 27 May 2005 - 07:12 AM.

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
I own an isp and we don't require it, and every isp in my neck of the woods doesn't either.....sorry :tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Maybe reading this will help :

Troubleshoot 550, 553, and relay-prohibited errors

Ron

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Meant to include this link in case you use Outlook :

You receive a SMTP relay blocks error message when you send e-mail messages in Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003

Ron