Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless troubles

• Please log in to reply

Malcontented

Malcontented

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello Geeks,

We've had problems with our internet due to a worn out cable. Virgin media have now replaced the cable and given us a new modem and wireless router, but for some reason unknown to me I can't get my HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop to connect to the wireless network. I'm online now, but through a loose ethernet cable running on the floor of the flat. My wireless works elsewhere, for example at the library, so I know it's not a hardware issue. I thought maybe my Windows Vista had somehow tangled itself up with the residual settings left over from the last wireless... I'm really not too techno-savvy so I don't know how to go about fixing this. Network diagnostics can't do it. I thought maybe re-installing the drivers might do it, but I don't know how to do that. My flatmates are using the wireless just fine - typed in the network key and were away. What should I do?

Thanks in advance,

Malcontended

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi, sorry to hear of the wireless problems.
1 The fact that you can access the wireless at the library indicated that its unlikely to be a problem with your network adapter driver.
2 The fact that your flatmates have no trouble in connecting to the Wireless signal indicates that your Router/Acess Point is also OK
3 We are left therefore with your laptop's inability to connect to your wireless access point/router, and the most common cause of this is using an incorrect encryption password (or network key)
Try this
4 Locate the wireless network connection Icon in the notification area
5 Click on it and select "connect to a network"
6 Select the SSID of your wireless network, click on it and click "connect"
7 Be sure, that you enter exactly the correct network key.... (check with your flatmates)lower case is not the same as upper case..
8 see if this does the trick for you.
Regards
paws

Malcontented

Malcontented

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello Paws,

Thank you for your help. I had a real go at fixing it yesterday, and I'm pleased to report that the problem was instantly resolved when I re-installed the driver for the network adapter. As you say, it didn't seem that would be the cause as I was happily connecting to wireless networks elsewhere. I probably should have tried the driver straight away. I tend though to a bit cautious when fiddling with the mainframe; computers just don't come across as all that resilent. Well, thank you and all the best,

Malcontented

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

I tend though to a bit cautious when fiddling with the mainframe; computers just don't come across as all that resilent.

"Mainframes" often run for years without interruption.

Wikipedia: Mainframe
http://en.wikipedia....nframe_computer

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi Malcontented ,
Thats good to hear.
Glad you got it fixed
:D
Regards