Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Acer keeps shutting down

• Please log in to reply

Nirrad

Nirrad

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello I have a Acer 7720-6374 that keeps shutting down. I have taken the base off and cleaned the fan and heat sink. So that is not an issue. I did notice there are 80 services running in the task manager. I did manage to install AVG and run a rootkit scan which came up clean. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance

OK I ran the core temp program and it would seem the cpu is running very hot. During the OTL scan the temp was in the 80's.
I will look into getting a new fan first and see if that helps.

Edited by Nirrad, 22 November 2010 - 07:04 AM.

Advertisements

dynocompe

dynocompe

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Make sure you take the fan completely out of the heat sink by removing the screws. Often there is dustball that you cant even see without removing the fan completely.

Also check the malware removal guide on this forum. Definately download malwarebyes antimalware and run the quick scan.
I would do more of a scan than just avg.
If you removed your heat sink, make sure you clean off the old thermol paste and reapply new fresh stuff. That stuff is not reusable. Whenever I remove heat sink, I will always clean and reapply new.