Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I lose my internet connection when I connect to my tv using HDMI on m

• Please log in to reply

beverlygillard

beverlygillard

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When i connect my laptop to my tv using a HDMI cable I lose my internet connection I have no clue why or what to do. Please help.

Edited by beverlygillard, 23 November 2010 - 09:55 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I don't doubt what you're saying, but I don't see how it's even possible. HDMI has nothing whatsoever to do with the internet.
How do you connect to the internet? WIreless router? Wired? Wireless? Is the laptop wireless or wired?

beverlygillard

beverlygillard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your reply Neil. My laptop is wireless and I connect through a wireless router. As soon as I connect the hdmi to my laptop I lose the internet on my laptop. I am just want to use my tv as a monitor so I can watch movies on my computer in a bigger size. THANKS : )

Edited by beverlygillard, 23 November 2010 - 09:56 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I don't see the connection. I cannot conceive any logical situation in which HDMI affects wireless internet, unless the laptop has a hardware problem. There is no other way that I am aware of that can cause this.

beverlygillard

beverlygillard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I know it's really weird. As soon as I disconnect the hdmi cable from my laptop the internet come back. I'm clueless as to how to fix this. I googled everything and this link ( http://discussions.a...hreadID=2346382 ) is the only thing I found that was similar to my problem. Oh well maybe some day I will find the answer. Thanks for your help : )

Edited by beverlygillard, 23 November 2010 - 09:57 PM.

beverlygillard

beverlygillard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well I have I have a funny feeling that it probably is not possible to use the internet by connecting my laptop to my tv with a hdmi cable. But I do know that I am able to use internet on my tv through my wii so I guess I will do it that way. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP : )

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a new Acer Aspire Switch 10 SW5-012-16GW laptop/tablet.  It requires a "micro HDMI to full size HDMI" cable in order to connect to an HDTV.  I ordered Monoprice #7556 cables.  When I connected the cable from the laptop to the HDTV, the screen did appear on the HDTV; however, I immediately lost wifi reception.  When I disconnected the cable, wifi reception was restored to the PC.  This seemed like a counter-intuitive result.  Why would I lose wifi just because I connect an HDMI cable?

I did extensive research on the internet and I found that this is a common issue with these types of laptop/tablet computers.  In my research, I just happened to find a tech forum entry from a guy who had the same problem with his laptop/tablet pc.  He solved his problem, after trying several different cables, by using a "Mediabridge FLEX Series Micro-HDMI to HDMI Cable - High-Speed Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return [Newest Standard]". 

I decided to give the Mediabridge cable a shot (avaIlable on Amazon).  It worked great.  No loss of wifi.

I don't understand what the difference is between the Monoprice and the Mediabridge cables.  The Mediabridge cable works great, though.