Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Invisible USB devices

• Please log in to reply

Ad_spiers

Ad_spiers

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I attempted to use my USB memory stick (Lexar jumpdrive) with my Win98 laptop (the stick works fine on my XP desktop machine). When first inserted it autodetected new hardware but as I didn't have the drivers I went for Generic, figuring I could change it later.

When this didn't work I removed the generic drivers from device manager and got the correct drivers from the Lexar website. However my computer will not run autplay, detect with Add New hardware (as plug& play) or appear in device manager when connected.

I have manually installed the device via Add New Hardware and installed the driver but it still doesn't appear anywhere on the machine. If I try putting someone elses USB stick in it recognises it fine (though it also requests drivers to work).

Does Win98 really only give you one shot at making an installation (I read about this here http://www.dataq.com...chinfo/usb.htm) ? It seems that just because I got it wrong first time I've had it! Any idea how I can make my computer forget that I tried to install it previously (btw you cannot see it anywhere in device manager).

Thanks in advice for any help,

Ad

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you install usb drivers for the motherboard?

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
I came across a similar problem with a 98 machine. I figured out if I inserted the stick into the USB, then re-started the computer (with it still plugged in) then it would show up as a removable drive.

That particular 98 machine would only recognize the stick on start-up, not if you plugged it in while on. :tazz:

Ad_spiers

Ad_spiers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No I didn't install motherboard drivers - its a second hand machine and I don't have these available.

Yesterday I managed to get windows to recognise the USB stick as a hard drive, however after assigning it a letter (that definately doesn't conflict with my other drives) WIN98 now runs autodetect for about 4 seconds then without warning RESTARTS the machine. I have tried safe mode (doesn't see the drive then) and trying to shut down the autodetect in task manager but neither work. When I plug in the device my machine turns off!

If I put the device in then boot, the machine turns off as soon as I get to the desktop. :tazz:

Weird, no?

Edited by Ad_spiers, 27 May 2005 - 05:06 AM.