Also I just noticed my System clock is showing the European date setting: 24/11/10, instead of the U.S. setting 11/24/10. Can't seem to locate where to correct that.
OK one hint the cmos battery is failing.
What time is it showing?
There is another way to run chkdsk if you have your XP installation disk.
How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:
How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
- Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
- When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
- When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
- At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:
- Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
- Report any errors