Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sound card upgrade needed?

• Please log in to reply

Ingwaz

Ingwaz

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Well, here is my problem. Recently I have noticed that if i accidentally tug on the cord of my head phones while plugged into the computers audio jack, the sound will cut out for a few seconds, this is rather recent and i dont remember it happening before. Now, a day or two after that, the sound is somewhat choppy and sounds very staticy at times. I have an onboard sound card on my Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L motherboard http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128345

I wish to know if this is most likely a broken sound card and I simply need to upgrade it, in which case, do you think this one is suitable? http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829186001

I appreciate any information you can provide me with, thank you

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts
Sounds like the copper wire in your headphone leads may be broken. Or, the wire may be pulled loose from the connections on either end.

Easiest way to check is to plug in a different, known-good set of headphones and see if the same problem occurs.

(BTW: Repeatedly tugging on electrical connectors that were not designed for such abuse will usually, eventually break something).

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Check your device manager and see if there is no registered sound card or if it detecting any problems on your motherboard- it could be another good indication if something is sour on your mobo.

I agree that it sounds more like the headphones than the actual computer.