Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ubuntu running windows apps

• Please log in to reply

mcchunky90

mcchunky90

• Pip
  • 1 posts
is there any way to run directx 9 on ubuntu? if so how do i go about it? i need it to run games that are make for windows only but the game programme can be run off wine but i cannot figure out how to get directx 9 to install.
any help would be great

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Well, one way would be to use a Virtual machine, such as VirtualBox (free). You would then load a version of Windoze and use that when you need it. This works quite well if your machine is fast enough and has enough memory, but the speed and memory requirements depends on what you are doing and how fast it needs to be.

I did find the following regarding installing DirectX:

http://howto.landure...inux-using-wine

I have no idea if it works or not.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
You should be better off installing Windows in a separate partition. Wine does not offer full compatibility, and may have bugs.

If you still want to use Wine, check the program first to see if it is compatible: AppDB