Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux Login Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

WatchSpring2

WatchSpring2

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi

A few months back, a friend who runs a small charity organisation asked if I would take a look at an old server they had sitting in a cupboard.

I said I would and, having a few days off work finally got around to checking it out.

The first issue is that it boots into Linux and I am a complete newbie when it come to Linux.

At the end of the boot up, I get what I assume is the OS version (Debian GNU/Linux lenny/sid serv01 tty1) and session id, as then a login prompt:

serv01 login:

Unfortunately, no one has any idea of what the appropriate username (or password) is.

Is there some way around this?

I should mention that there is a Windows XP Pro sticker on the machine - if, as this suggests, it has dual OS loaded, is there some way to make it boot up in XP?

Thanks, in advance.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The sticker is something which is often attached to the machine when it is sold and does not indicate that it is a dual boot machine. If it was a dual boot machine, typically a boot screen will come up at the start to allow you some time to select which OS to boot. Often, Linux also has such an option to allow for different versions of the kernel.

In terms of the password:

BIOS or Operating System's passwords are there for the purpose related to Security and Privacy to protect the legitimate owner of a machine. While there are many locations on the Internet that might help you learn about managing passwords for a machine's BIOS or Operating System, we a G2G do not assist in what amounts to hacking past a machine's Security and Privacy safeguards.

While such requests are often legitimate, and come from users who experience exactly the kind of problem that you post, we have no way of determining legitimate vs. not legitimate, therefore we do not respond to such requests.