Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing ntoskrnl.exe / unable to restore

• Please log in to reply

Tavaritj

Tavaritj

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone,

after searching the internet no answer has been able to help me. My computer is pretty banged up, almost got robbed at the train station the other week. Been getting worse ever since. After some random usage it refuses to start up, saying:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I searched for possible fixes, but none has worked yet, as I mentioned before. The only Windows XP disc I have doesnt let me use any repair or restore option, it simply doesnt offer it to me when I boot from the CD. I read that this might be because I have to use the exact same version of Windows CD as I have installed on the computer, is this true?

It is an ACER netbook, Aspire One ZG5, running on XP, which SP I dont know, unfortunately.

If not save the windows install, is there a way to get to the information on the computer and save it? More specificly, chat and internet history.

Thanks for any and all help!

/Dan Karlsson

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To restore this file follow the below steps.

1. Insert the OEM or RETAIL Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below steps will not resolve your issue.
2. Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.
3. In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.
4. Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password...
if you haven't set a administrator password just press enter...
5. Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32
this assumes d: is your cd drive letter...change it if necessary
6. You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.
7. Type exit to reboot the computer.

tech guy

tech guy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi....

Few days back, i faced a same troubleshot with my PC. I searched a lot on Internet no answer has been able to help me.
So, one of my friend suggest me to follow few steps mentioned in

http://www.completep...m/ntoskrnl.html

I will say that this site contain efficient information to fix Missing ntoskrnl.exe and help you restore missing files.

Thanks and Regards.

Tavaritj

Tavaritj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you both for your replies, but as I stated in my initial post, there is no option for repair. Why is that?

Edit: It is a valid, original windows XP disc, but it did not come with the laptop. I am running it from a external drive.

Edited by Tavaritj, 02 December 2010 - 08:24 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you booting to the cd?
Following the steps I posted do you get the prompts it says and if so how far does it get?

Tavaritj

Tavaritj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yep, I am booting from the CD. The installation window pops up, just as tech guys screenshot, but there is no option for pressing R!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So what screen are you seeing?
Do you get to the screen that says Welcome to Setup and what options does it show from that window?
Is the installation the same type as what is installed on your laptop... Home , Media or Pro?
Os it a Full installation or a upgrade?
Is it Genuine or a burned copy?