Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Kaspersky or AVG?

• Please log in to reply

oliver amaya

oliver amaya

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hey everyone, well, I am currently using the free version of AVG (along with malwarebytes and superantispyware) as my anti-virus software but my room mate moved out a week ago and left his Kaspersky disc. It's brand new (wrapping was still on it) so he never used it. Should I uninstall AVG and replace it with Kaspersky? I think extremely highly of the people here, so I trust you all the most.
Thank you very much everyone!

Advertisements

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Greetings, I would like to know what version of AVG you have, is it the AVG 9 Free? I have heard the new upgrade, AVG 10-2011 was causing LOTS of problems, and I would suggest Avira or AVAST... Both are free, and I personally went from AVG 9 to AVAST... Also, the new AVG 10-2011 is just HUGE: 136 MB. Your choice, and I am sure more will be around to advise. Oh, you can get the Avira or AVAST here, too. :D

oliver amaya

oliver amaya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I have version 9; been too lazy to upgrade, but I'm glad I didn't after reading your comment. I had AVAST for a bit, but I never liked it. If you don't mind me asking, but how would you rate Kaspersky? I always figured that something which cost money (Kas) would be better than a free trail version - AVAST, AVG ect. Am I right to think that?
I appreciate the feedback Tee Cee

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi oliver amaya , to answer your question, not necessarily. I had Trend Micro, a paid AV, and found my friends all had AVG 7, & 8.5, and were just as protected as I was. So, when it came time to renew, I just went with AVG. Don't get me wrong, I really liked my AVG 8.5 and the 9, BUT the new 10 REALLY has some serious issues!! ;)

Now, may I ask why you didn't like Avast? You can get Avira here too, and it is a real nice Free AV..

From my own experience, I have found, you get the same protection, you just pay for one, and not the other. The free AV's are just as good if not better than the paid versions. No other difference..

I hope that helps. :D

EDIT: I never used Kaspersky myself, so therefore, cannot rate it. Take a look at this link, tho, and you can read about them: AV's to choose from

Edited by Tee*Cee, 24 November 2010 - 09:30 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I had AVG for quite a while. I dumped it at version 8.0 because it became to resource heavy.
I tried avast but didn't like the interface so I am using Avira.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
In addition to becoming more bloated, AVG has also had issues with false positives. Kaspersky is a good AV, but you're going to have to pay for upgrades after the initial term expires. I would recommend trying Microsoft Security Essentials. It is also free, and it's very effective and light on resources. I use it on some of my PCs and I'm very pleased with it so far.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I use Avast as it has a very small footprint and uses little system resources.
Avira is another one we highly recommend along with Microsoft Security Essentials.
If you get Avast please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:

It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year