Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blank screen & blinking curser

• Please log in to reply

sparkie1

sparkie1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Help I'm a complete novice to computers, but I have read through a lot of the posts with 'blank screen, flashing curser' & couldn't seem to find a solution.
Problem: I was surfing the net when a message from Avast warned that a malicious item had tried to get into my system [sorry couldn't tell you what it said it happened so quickly]next thing the laptop screen went black & then re-appeared with light blue screen & blinking curser in top left of screen. switched off, pulled the plug & removed the battery, but when reinstated the power & battery still the same screen. will only let me press F2 & nothing else. After leaving F2 screen goes back to flashing curser & if any button on the keyboard is pressed I get a loud bleep & thats all. I can't find any of my Windows XP discs following recent move to new house Any suggestions please.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
See if Crtl - alt- delete will activate task manager

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

will only let me press F2 & nothing else.

I suspect this means you tried F8 options upon bootup?
If not, try and then choose "last known good configuration".

What is the make and model?
Desktop or laptop?

sparkie1

sparkie1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your replies,
When pressing cntrl, alt & delete just reboots & starts up with the Acer logo then goes to blank screen & flashing curser, & Yes I've tried F8 when booting up but only get the Acer logo then goes to blank screen & flashing curser unless I press F2 while booting up & it will go to 'InsydeH20 Setup Utility'
The make & model is an Acer 5315 Aspire laptop.
Cheers.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am of the opinion that your MBR -master boot record - has been corrupted.
THERE maybe possibilities of repairing this using recovery console or other methods that involve burning a CD which MAY boot the computer and repair the installation. HOWEVER with OEM systems - your Acer is one - these methods are never certain of success.
This computer comes with the option of creating a recovery DVD so that everything you have on the computer is saved for recovery.
WITHOUT that you may decide your easiest method is as below.

NOTE the caution regarding the loss of your personal data and any programs installed since you bought the laptop.

SHOULD you wish to recover any personal data by way of documents, pictures etc, this may well be possible - please post BEFORE folowing the procedure below and I will send you guidance on how to do so.

To access the recovery partition on your Acer computer for recovery, follow the steps listed below.

1. Power on the computer
2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the Alt key and press the F10 key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery.
3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click Restore to Factory Default Settings
4. Click OK to continue
5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
6. Once eRecovery has run, press OK to reboot unit

Note that all data will be lost during this process and your computer will be brought back to it's original factory state and settings.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 November 2010 - 08:15 AM.