Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HAL.DLL boot problem in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

ittiandro

ittiandro

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I have recently moved from XP to Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits via UPGRADE. . I found the settings transfer feature very handy , even though I still had to re-install ALL the programs I had on XP, which is why I'd hate to re-install Windows 7!

Windows 7 has been working fine, until yesterday. Now, I am unable to boot .

I tried F8 to get to the other options( Safe mode, etc) .I can't even get there. .

I also tried the repair feature, but, after a laborious scanning, the computer returns a message that it i is beyond repair. None of the other repair options worked ( restore to previous configuration, image transfer, etc).

Eventually I got the dreaded message that the HAL.DLL file is corrupt or missing.
I could take the bull by the horns and re-install Windows 7, but I want to avoid it as much as possible because it took me two days to re-install the ton of applications I had on XP, without counting an extra day for network configuration problem which prevented me to access the Internet..

I read about using the EXPAND command in DOS, to reinstate the HAL.DLL file. But why not the straight COPY command ?
To this effect, I ran a test on another computer and, with the COPY command in DOS, I was indeed able to copy the HAL.DLL file from a diskette on drive A ( yes, I still have one!) , to a test folder in Windows\System 32 . So I know the file was copied. I could do the same and copy this file, via DOS, into Windows 7.

The problem is that without being able to boot my computer , I don't know

1) how to get to the DOS screen to type the COPY command, and

2) what is the location of the HAL.DLL file in Windows 7 ?.

In XP, it is under Windows\i386\system32, but it might be elsewhere in Windows 7.

I tried a search on the Win 7 installation disk by clicking on EXPLORE , but I can't find any HAL.DLL file. Besides, the AUTO SETUP kicks in too fast to allow a thorough search.

I'd appreciate your comments and suggestions. I'd be glad to hear about other venues as well, but please address my question regarding the DOS-COPY solution, whether you think it will work or not

Thank you

Franco

Montreal, Canada

Advertisements

Ehsanit

Ehsanit

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Normally when you overwrite such files you're meant to get the file from the Windows installation Disk. You shouldn't try to replace it from a another computer, and certainly not one with a different OS. Because the files on the install disk are compressed you have to use the expand command, copy would just copy over the still compressed hal.dl_ from the disk. It would be somewhat like copying over a Zip file and expecting the file inside to work by default, rather than unzipping it and opening the file properly.

Actually that error is not always a problem with Hal.dll. This is written for XP and you shouldn't follow the instructions because of that, but it explains what I mean.

Edit: Hal.dll isn't used by Vista or 7. It's probably left over from your upgrade. I don't know how you'd go about fixing that, other perhaps than checking that boot.ini is in good condition.

Edited by Ehsanit, 27 November 2010 - 02:28 PM.