Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNScache (possibly) taking up CPU

• Please log in to reply

biggy c

biggy c

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello. I recently had a run in with Ramnit.A malware, but had it fixed here thanks to the expertise of azarl. I still have some corruptions in my system files though. One of the main problems lately has been svchost files taking up CPU at specific intervals. I used Windows Performance Analyzer to try to pinpoint the threads being run and what exactly was causing the problem. I'm not sure exactly what to make of it though. Is it possible to upload the .etl file here and have someone look at it?

Edited by biggy c, 24 November 2010 - 02:43 PM.

Advertisements

biggy c

biggy c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Nevermind, I found the problem. The HOSTS file that was recommended was causing the DNScache to slow down everything. You guys should mention it if you suggest downloading MVPS HOSTS.