Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No power to keyboard/mouse and no signal to monitor

• Please log in to reply

Anolis666

Anolis666

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My HP Pavilion a1730n is not sending sgnal to the monitor and no power to the keyboard/mouse. I tried:

- New Video Card
- Check all connections
- Check all capacitors on Motherboard
- Check all components

So far no luck, when the PC starts and is laying on one side (with the open panel facing up) sometimes it works for a few minutes, I can get in the BIOS but when windows starts, a few minutes after, the PC freezes. If I try to do it with the PC in the upright position, it won't even do that.

I know this sounds strange, any ideas???

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Anolis666 :D sorry to hear you are having this issue.
Can you provide the power supply details, make and model including power output please, also if you can try a known good psu in your system and see how it goes, the symptoms you are describing are possibly being caused by 1: a faulty psu 2: heat 3: a bad connection.
You can do a basic test on your psu to see if it activates at all but even if it does power up it does not prove it is working properly, to test your psu, remove the power cord from the wall, remove the side of the pc case and then remove the psu> follow the advice at this link http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html keep us posted

Anolis666

Anolis666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, I check everything again and thinking it was the PSU I went and bought a new one. After installing it everything is still the same. I think the MOBO is a goner since not even the BIOS are loading.

Waffleboy

Waffleboy

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Did you mount your motherboard on the standoffs? Sometimes, if you don't, you can short out connections and cause weird and intermittent problems.

Anolis666

Anolis666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This PC was working perfect until a couple of weeks ago. The motherboard came with it, I never opened until the problem started.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX and only insert 1 stick of Ram.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try re-seating the CPU, to do this you will need some TIM (thermal interface material) such as Arctic Silver 5, let the computer run for a few moments to warm up and soften the existing paste between the CPU and HS as this will help to make sure they separate easily as sometimes removing the HS and CPU fan can pull the processor from the socket, clean and prepare the CPU and then apply a fresh amount of TIM, too much is as bad as too little so only use the correct amount.

NB: For testing purposes use the original PSU first because if it is working correctly you can return the newly purchased one, also this is a long shot but worth a try, before doing any of the above try clearing the CMOS by removing the silver CR2032 battery on the MB, this will restore the factory default settings, if it works you will need to go into the BIOS and reset the time and date then save and exit. Thanks to rshaffer61 for the battery image.