Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dell latitude CPTV

• Please log in to reply

rhutson

rhutson

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I got a new motherboard and now I need to know how to extract the processor, it says on the Dell site that there is a tool just for pulling the processor but there must be a way to do it without a tool? By the way, when I took off the keyboard and palm rest and took out the screws and tried very gently to lift the processor out and it will not budge so I pressed down on the metal cover over the processor to make sure it was still in and put it all back together, now it will not boot at all. I need to get this new motherboard in and get back up and running. Any help is greatly appreciated.

RHutson

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. What model Dell, and what kind of processor? If Dell specified a tool I suspect it was a chip puller that allows you to grip two sides and pull straight up without damaging the pins on the chip or the socket. Do you have the manual for your computer? If not, you could go to Dell's web site and download it. I would try to follow Dell's suggestions as much as possible.

Did the CPU or motherboard die?