Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless internet keeps going out

• Please log in to reply

chelsearayee

chelsearayee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Recently my wireless internet has been going out. Usually all I have to do is turn the airport off and on of my macbook and it comes right back but it's starting to become a pain. But now I'm trying to watch movies on netflix from my PS3 and it keeps going off. To fix it have to unplug the power source from the router (linksys WRT54GS) and it will come back for about 5 minutes or less and then the connection message from netflix comes right back. I have never been at my dad's desktop computer when this has happened but it doesn't seem to ever affect it's internet. Is there anyway I can fix this?
This is now my second router could this be the early signs of this one dying also?

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Sorry to hear of the problem with your wireless Internet.
Its likely that your Dad's computer is connected by wire to the Router.... if so this would explain why a failing wireless connection does not affect his machine.
1 Try your computer on a known good wireless signal at one of your chum's houses perhaps, or a local free wifi connection. If you can connect Ok then this rules out any serious problems with your computer
2 If it's just your home connection that is troublesome then the likely causes are:
Interference from neighbouring wireless access points using the same or close wireless channels....so try changing channels
3 Interference from devices on the same or similar frequencies to that used by your router, the usual culprits here are microwave ovens, dect phones, and baby alarm type equipment.(Try switcjhing them off)
4 Attenuation of the wireless signal due to thick walls twix router and computer or large metallic surfaces...(try moving your computer close to the Wireless access point/router.
See if this does the trick
Regards
paws