Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router Trouble

• Please log in to reply

teireng

teireng

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just got a d-link broadband router and am trying to renew my ip address. The following works on the one computer but wont on the other on. Both computers are running windows xp (if that matters) When typing: ipconfig/release I get the following error.

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

I've tried the online support for the hardware with no luck. Can anyone help me with this problem? :tazz:

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Go to control panel, system, and click the hardware tab. Now click the "device manager" button and find your network card in the list under "network adapters". Now right click it and click uninstall. Reboot the computer. When windows loads it will pop up a balloon in the bottom right saying it found new hardware, click inside the balloon and it will install the network adapter. Now when it is finished open up a command prompt and try to renew your ip again.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: