Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help - It Just Might Be A Virus?

• Please log in to reply

nanabentley

nanabentley

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi I hope someone can help me. Early this morning I tried to get on my sons acer laptop. By the way it is an Acer Aspire 5920 running windows vista. Anyways I hit the power button and when it started up it started making a high pitch beep over and over like the keyboard was stuck. After several attempts, I hooked up an external keyboard to it and managed to get on in safe mode. I went to system info and found this: Under Components, Problem Devices, I found this: Device: Consumer IR Devices. PnP Device ID: Root\System\001. Error Code: This device is not working. So I went to device manager and did a scan and consumer ir devices came up with a yellow exclamation mark or triangle (I didnt look that close I just knew there was a problem) so I went into properties and this what it said: This device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (code 31) and then my external keyboard stopped working and I had to restart. Well after several attempts even in safe mode it would stop loading file at C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\circlass.sys. I have tried to restore from the disks and from the hidden partition. I cant do it. Also everytime I do manage to get to where you type in your password to get on the desktop, It is already filled with dots and trying to delete it or backspace doesnt work because it just fills right back up. Most of the time on startup it just start beeping that high pitched beep over and over and the only thing to do is turn it off. Hopefully you guys might know what the problem is. It was running fine yesterday. I dont know what happened but I am hoping you can help me. Thank you for your time on this. I know you guys all work hard and are probably underappreciated. Any help you can give me is very much appreciated. I am typing this from my compaq because the acer is stuck at the password part. Thanks again... Colleen

Advertisements

nanabentley

nanabentley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Sorry guys I just figured out that it isnt a virus. Left the laptop unplugged and off for the last couple of days and decided to turn it on today. I got onto the desktop with an external keyboard. Went into account manager and got rid of the password for the desktop and then went into device manager. Nothing came up so I tested the keyboard and everything works except a few keys so I am going to let the hardware guys know. Thank you anyways for all you do and may you have a Merry Christmas. Colleen