Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited to No Connectivity, Windows XP SP 3

• Please log in to reply

butterrice

butterrice

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
I'm on an Acer Travelmate Laptop. My wireless is ATT Uverse. My HP and Dell Laptop connect to the router perfectly. Dell runs XP SP3 and the HP runs Windows 7. I can't figure out why my Acer will not connect. This is Windows XP SP 3 Professional. I have tried to disable and enable it. I rebooted. I even tried to the "repair" option and it comes back with an error saying it can't establish a new IP. Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Go Start, and right click my computer, click properties, click hardware, click device manager, is the wireless hardware shown on network connections, without any warning.

If so go Control Panel, Network connections, is the wireless adaptor shown there. right click it, click properties, scroll down using the arrow on the right of the window to TCP/IP click once to highlight, click properties, is automatically checked on obtain IP address and DNS.
If not click both of those to check automatically. then apply and ok as required to exit.
Now try

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Thank you for responding. I followed your instructions as noted. In Device Manager while my Broadcam 802.11g Network Adapter does not have a warning, I observed the following that do:
1. Under Display Adapters - Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family has a "red x" on the Icon.
2. Under Other Devices - Video controller has a "yellow !" on the icon.
3. Under Portable Devices - MTP Device has a "yellow !" on the icon.

Everything Under the TCP/IP Properties was already checked as you indicated. So, I unchecked them, then rechecked them hoping it would work. But, I still have Limited or No Connectivity.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
on the base of the laptop is a model number and probably a service tag number, i am not sure what is on acer.
Post that pls
it is this that I need
http://acer--uk.cust...C9aX1BFYVpmaw==

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 November 2010 - 07:15 PM.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Ok - I have a Acer Travelmate 2480. Model# ZR1

The serial number (S/N - as stated in the link you provided) is LXTH30Y0246511DD8F2500.

Edited by butterrice, 25 November 2010 - 07:41 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://acer--uk.cust...etail/a_id/3109

Follow this link advice

Although that will install the originals for those items display adaptors and video controllers, you would be better using this, as these are the latest
http://www.acer.co.u...&CRC=2980211862

go travelmate and model number 2480 select operating system and download those.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 November 2010 - 07:56 PM.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
How can I download them if I can't get on the internet? Maybe a flash drive?

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You only need to post the question ONCE
Either connect it hard wired with ethernet or download the drivers with another computer and then transfer them to this one.

Advertisements

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Sorry, that was not done on purpose.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Hi! I was finally able to get connected to the internet. I had to uninstall and reinstall my Broadcam. I will post you when I have the drivers and if they worked. Just trying to keep you updated THANKS~ (PS. I apologize in advance if this shows twice. My page timed out).

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pleased, I am sure now it be right when you get the correct drivers - updated for the Broadcom
Any problems finding them just post but they will be on that link you went to before, after you posted the tag number.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Okay - I've had some time to sit down and look at these drivers. I'm not sure which one is for the MTP Device or the video controller. I did download the Intel Chipset, rebooted, and I'm still left with a red "x". Thank you again for helping with this!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Here is the link again, but I think when you go in you will have to select the notebook, Travel Mate and 2480.
http://www.acer.co.u...&CRC=2980211862
MAKE CERTAIN you select the operating sysytem as Windows XP Professional 32 bit, that is the line above the driver list.
It appears to default to Vista.
The Intel Chipset is the first driver and this should be installed first. Always insdtall the chipset driver first.
When you download it, disable your anti-virus and pop-up blocker. Having these working whilst downloading can corrupt the download of the driver.
PLEASE ENSURE you remember to reset afterwards.

The Video driver is either the Intel or the Nvidia, you will have to check which you have
Because you have the Intel chipset, does not mean you have Intel Video
The Broadcom is third from the end of the list
Ensure you see all drivers, note the two bars at the right of the driver window.

It appears you can only list for your specific serial number by registering
This is the link
https://registration...angedAlts=&osp=

Here is another driver link, but I would recommend the actual acer site
http://driverscollec...R&SS=Windows XP

MTP device is Media Transfer Protocol such as a camera, mobile phone etc. I would presume this is because the software is there but the device is not connected.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 December 2010 - 06:22 AM.