Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is my bottleneck the amount of RAM i have?

• Please log in to reply

daveyman

daveyman

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ive recently started playing a computer game called Darkfall online, and its a game that is very demanding on my computer and im looking for the best way i can upgrade my computer to improve performance. However, as i am computer retarded, I figured I would ask some smart people first before i dropped money on something that wont help my situation. Appreciate any help.

-Dave

Attached is a printsceen of my system information.

I had to compress the paint file so it would work as an attachment. I dont know if there is a better way to attach pictures or not?

Attached Files

Edited by daveyman, 25 November 2010 - 11:34 PM.

Advertisements

daveyman

daveyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
bump

The_Joo

The_Joo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yeah bumping the computer to 2 gigs would help. Updating your video drivers might help a little too.

What settings are you running the game on?
What kind of frame rates are you getting?

daveyman

daveyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
as low of settings as possible. usually get between 50-100 FPS, sometimes worse in combat. which sucks because its a first person shooter style game.

The_Joo

The_Joo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
The minimum specs are pretty lax. I would guess that you you have a bunch of junk running in the background slowing the machine down. Especially on XP. What anti virus are you running?
Your card should be capable of that game, ram would be the cheapest upgrade for it.

daveyman

daveyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Norton Antivirus is what i use. Attached is a printscreen of a normal performance check on it in fact.

but yeah i think your suggestion is right that i need to get more RAM. now i just need to figure out which type to buy

appreciate the help Joo

Attached Files

The_Joo

The_Joo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Norton is a resource [bleep]. Try AVG.
whats the model number on your computer?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
If that's an "Alienware AREA-51 7500 Desktop", I'd go ahead and max it out with 4GB worth of DDR2 PC2-8500:

http://www.crucial.c...el=AREA-51 7500

daveyman

daveyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Norton is a resource [bleep]. Try AVG.
whats the model number on your computer?

[bleep], i just bought Norton so i may have to wait to change
system is an Alienware AREA-51 7500 Desktop
i may do what Spyware recommended and buy 3 gigs to max out my system. i think im going to try to order and install them myself. ive heard installing memory is fairly easy to do so hopefully i dont screw it up

Thanks again for the help guys

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
What game are you playing? have you tried http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html ?

Advertisements

The_Joo

The_Joo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Youll have to purchase 2x 1GB or 2x 2GB sticks to add to your current setup. they should be relatively inexpensive. Check these out - corsair is the good stuff

daveyman

daveyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Those look like they would work great
So all i would do after getting buying those sticks is insert them into the memory module slot in my computer and i would be good to go?

daveyman

daveyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

What game are you playing? have you tried http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html ?

Recenlty ive been playing a sandbox pvp MMO called Darkfall. if youre into that type of game its the best around http://www.darkfallo....com/index.html
Is that program completely free to use?

just found the updated driver version for my video card using gameboost, should help me a lot

Edited by daveyman, 26 November 2010 - 12:57 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also remember that a 32 bit OS will only utilize 3.5 gigs of memory at best. Looking at you specs is that what you have?

daveyman

daveyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Also remember that a 32 bit OS will only utilize 3.5 gigs of memory at best. Looking at you specs is that what you have?

checking my system info it says Available Virtual Memory is 1.96 gigs. is that what youre talking about?