Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my bottleneck the amount of RAM i have?

• Please log in to reply

The_Joo

The_Joo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
He is running XP Pro 32bit. Yes the limit w/ pysical address extension enabled is 3.5 but it is a heck of a lot better than 1.
You could just run the 2x2GB modules without the original ones in the computer and it should be faster. Only addressing one bus in dual channel is faster than accessing two.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

You could just run the 2x2GB modules without the original ones in the computer and it should be faster.

Good suggestion as a matched pair would guarantee no compatibility issues then. :D

daveyman

daveyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yup, i think ill be going with the 2x2gb corsair that Joo suggested as soon as i have a little extra cash.

Thanks again guys, this has been extremely helpful!

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

<br />

<br />Also remember that a 32 bit OS will only utilize 3.5 gigs of memory at best. Looking at you specs is that what you have?<br />

checking my system info it says Available Virtual Memory is 1.96 gigs. is that what youre talking about?

No, One more gig of ram will help matters but as far as graphics performance goes, It's your video card and cpu that dictates overall frame rate. To be honest, Upgrading only one part of a system usually doesn't show that much of a performance increase, unless the part being replaced is very under performing. If it were me, I would look into a faster video card and ram. If you can get a duplicate stick of what you have in there now or buy a matching pair of the fastest speed ram the motherboard can handle, you would get a good boost. You need to check the specs on that system and make sure the ram is running in a dual channel mode. See the motherboard manual for details. If it's AlienWare then they should already have it set up that way. Also, use that free program Game Booster for a little extra performance. Make sure you do regular system maintenance like updating ALL drivers, use disc defrag and make sure you uninstall unused programs and things like browser toolbars. or use a program like http://www.filehippo...wnload_ccleaner to clean out your system.

daveyman

daveyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
sounds like good advice.

could part of the problem be that Darkfall is only allowed to be played on one CPU instead of two like a lot of other games?

i just attached another screenshot that shows what i guess is my RAM getting close to maxing out while playing a game on my other monitor

btw i recomend Poker night at the inventory. 5 bucks from steam and its an amazing game :D

Attached Files

Edited by daveyman, 26 November 2010 - 03:03 PM.

elpout

elpout

• Pip
  • 7 posts
There is no straight forward answer

Different game engines have different needs. For example Bad Company 2 is REALLY video card intensive, others like for example GTA are more intensive on CPU and memory.

But seeing your system yes 1gb is really bad for gaming, 2gb is between okay and minimum and 4gb is the sweet spot.

Also the CPU can be a bottleneck on your system, not because it is only dual core but because it is too slow. I would try to overclock the CPU first before shelling any money and see if that shows improvement.

Also before launching the game go to the task manager and see what process are running and kill the unnecesary ones.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you want to see how much actual memory you have installed...
Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show

System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory
The above info is your system info. DO NOT INCLUDE THE REGISTERED NAME AND NUMBER AS THAT IS PRIVATE