Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What version of Windows 7 do I need to buy?

• Please log in to reply

elliedee

elliedee

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I used to have Windows Vista on my computer but for some reason the system crashed and needed the software reinstalling. As I didnt have a copy of the Vista disc for my computer, a friend of a friend offered to fix it with a pirated copy of Windows 7. I don't know a lot about computer and this version is running ok at the moment but I would feel more comfortable with the legitimate software so am looking to buy a copy. However, there are lots of versions available and I am unsure whether I need a normal edition of an upgrade edition. And is installing it something I can easily do myself?

Thanks for any help.

Ellie xx

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

As I didnt have a copy of the Vista disc for my computer, a friend of a friend offered to fix it with a pirated copy of Windows 7.

Bad ideal as it will most likely cause more problems then you are having now. Also we will not assist you with any problems due to our TOU.

We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to copied, pirated, or in any other way stolen programs. It is a direct violation of our TOS (Terms Of Service) to offer any assistance in this matter.

However, there are lots of versions available and I am unsure whether I need a normal edition of an upgrade edition.

This will depend on if you want to save your data or do a fresh install.

And is installing it something I can easily do myself?

This will depend on if you are doing a upgrade or fresh install. Either way we can provide instructions for you to make it easier.

You provided no specs on your system in your post. Is this a name brand system like Dell or Compaq?
If name brand what make and model?
Since you stated you have no disks then it is possible there is a recovery partition already on your hard drive. This will usually format and reinstall the OS, Drivers and all programs that were installed when the system was brand new.
Again I ask is there any data on the system you need to save before you proceed?
It may be possible to access it using a Linux Live cd.

elliedee

elliedee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My laptop is a Toshiba Equium L350-10L.

There is no data on my computer that needs keeping. It is all backed up on an external hard drive. The previous problem with my computer meant that on switching it on, I was asked to enter the installation disc, something I did not have and the advice given to me by Toshiba was to use a friends disc or buy a disc from them at what seemed to me a high cost when compared to what it will cost me to buy windows 7.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before investing in a Win 7 you can try the recovery partition option.

Toshiba:

To access the recovery partition do the following...

Power off the laptop.
Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on. Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears.
Start tapping the zero key repeatedly at this point.
Stop if the unit beeps or when the TOSHIBA logo disappears.
The screen should flash HDD RECOVERY MODE for a second and then it will load the Toshiba recovery program right from the hard drive.
Note that this erases all data, and reloads all factory default software.

elliedee

elliedee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Pressing the zero key makes the computer beep but it then turns on as normal. I cannot get the recovery mode screen to come up. Is there anything else I can try and does this mean that buying a realy copy of windows 7 will not work?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have to Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on
Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears.
Start tapping the zero key repeatedly at this point.
Stop if the unit beeps or when the TOSHIBA logo disappears.
The screen should flash HDD RECOVERY MODE for a second and then it will load the Toshiba recovery program right from the hard drive.

elliedee

elliedee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
This still does not work. I think I might leave it as it is for now until I can decide what I need to buy. Thanks for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it doesn't work there is a possibility the recovery partition has been damaged or deleted.
The ideal way is to contact Toshiba HERE and ask about purchasing a set of recovery disks. Normally this is less the 50 USD and you will then have all the original drivers, programs and OS in case you ever need it.