Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrade or Not?

• Please log in to reply

aidor

aidor

• Pip
  • 7 posts
A few months back i built a pretty decent budget PC:

• Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3G iP31 Socket 775 5.1 channel audio ATX Motherboard
  • Kingston 2GB 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Unbuffered Non-ECC CL6 1.8V
  • Intel Pentium Dual Core E6300 2.8GHz Socket 775 2MB Cache Retail Box Processor
  • Western Digital WD1600AAJS 160GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 8MB Cache - OEM
  • PNY 8400GS 256MB DDR2 VGA DVI out PCI-E Graphics Card
  • Zalman CNPS7500-ALCU LED Socket 478, 775, AM2, 754, 939 & 940 CPU Cooler
  • Sony AD-5240S 24x DVD±RW & DL SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black

i currently only play world of warcraft on medium-ish settings with some on the lowest, and probably am going to want to play other games in the future such as Starcraft and maybe even abit of COD. i was wondering if its worth just upgrading the graphics card or will i have to purchase any other components?

any advice is appreciated

Cheers

Advertisements

Waffleboy

Waffleboy

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
With only a new graphics card, you'd be cutting it pretty close. Modern games are now starting to recommend a very high end dual core minimum with a tri or quad core CPU preferred. Your RAM my also hold you back. For just WoW, you would be okay. You might cut it close with FPS and RTS games though.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
You did not list your PSU.

If a low wattage unit? this could be a limiting factor for a more powerful video card.

aidor

aidor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
sorry my bad, its a 460W PSU^^

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Hmm, I think your main focus should definitely be the video card, but adding in another stick of the same RAM to get some Dual Channel action would help!

I will say that for your games, your CPU should be fine- just make sure you calculate for enough power so if your current rig with a new graphics card starts to have times when it turns of randomly, you know you need some extra juice!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
The extra ram is a good idea.

Go for a card with 1GB of DDR 5 memory but not too powerful otherwise it will continuously ^wait^ whilst the CPU works.

Check that 450w will be enough for the system.

You can improve the performance by installing a second hard drive, moving your data too it and using your existing drive for the OS.

aidor

aidor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
cheers for all the advice, it was more than helpful :D i think I'll definitely look into getting a new graphics card now and an extra stick of RAM.

Cheers

elpout

elpout

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Well too many things that are a big bottleneck on that build.

I would look into just selling all that and getting a new budget PC cheap AMD AM2+ procesor x3 or x4 and a new video card.

But seeing your build as it is, the biggest bottleneck is the Video Card that video card cant take any new game in fact i dont think the target is for gamers it is for watching videos etc.

Then the bottleneck would be your CPU... i have that CPU clocked to 3.4ghz and still it is my main bottleneck

Memory not so bad i dont think there is one game that will use all your memory. Unless u like to multitask a LOT and have a lot of stuff open on your tray. But if u close stuff when u play games u are okay.

It wouldnt hurt to get a 2gb stick. But it wont improve much.