Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer goes to Black screen functions still working

• Please log in to reply

JUDANE

JUDANE

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My friends computer recently started acting strange, when she tries to start it up it makes sounds of booting up and then flashes the intel screen and quickly goes to a blinking cursor and just stays black i'm very certain it isn't the video card because i can still press and see the functions (F2, F10 and, F8) i've tried to open up safe mode but it won't boot up either. My friend needs this computer for school so i really need help.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Hmm, have you tried a repair install? Are there any other symptoms that you can hear? The blinking cursor makes me think its having trouble locating the operating system files on the hard drive itself. Is this a laptop or a desktop?

JUDANE

JUDANE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No i don't think I even know how to do that, I don't hear any other noise aside from it starting up it's a desktop computer it looks like everything's fine aside from it doing that.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Since it sounds like you can get into the BIOS/CMOS Setup, check to see if the hard drive is being identified. (If not, it's probably dead. :D)

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

No i don't think I even know how to do that, I don't hear any other noise aside from it starting up it's a desktop computer it looks like everything's fine aside from it doing that.

Use one of these while tapping the end button. 4266lump_hammer.jpg ......................................Just kidding : ) Seriously though. See if you can get more information about the computer. Like the modal name and number. It will help people help you.