Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Insufficient Privileges" To Install/Uninstall iTunes

• Please log in to reply

djean

djean

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently tried to upgrade iTunes, and instead it disappeared from my Start Menu. The files are still there, but now I'm unable to open, uninstall or reinstall it.

The first error msg I got was this:

"The installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: C:\Program Files(x86)\iTunes\Acknowledgments.rtf"

A Google search turned up this page, which was helpful:

http://www.mydigital...-windows-vista/

But I quickly discovered that the problem isn't just one file. As soon as I change permissions on one file, the error msg is replaced with another - it seems to be going down the list of most, or perhaps all, of the iTunes files.

Going through the list and claiming ownership of every file individually would be unbelievably time-consuming (not to mention tedious). Does someone have a clue about what's happening and/or an efficient way to fix this? I'd be grateful beyond words...

Advertisements

Aaronor

Aaronor

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Select the whole folder, or try Ctrl + A and do it for all of them, you may do it for individual files(Select ctrl) that you believe this applies.

Edited by Peter Chao, 26 November 2010 - 06:47 PM.