Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

discouraged

• Please log in to reply

itsmeyarr

itsmeyarr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey guys, my aunts desktop which is a emachine with Windows Vista is not doing so well. When the pc is started you are given 2 Windows Vista option to start. Internet works on the newly installed windows but not on the original. I do not know how to remove this. The second issue is after starting the RPC and Network Connections the internet still is not working. After a while one of the kids admitted to deleting some things which I could not restore from the recycling bin because he deleted it. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Because Windows detects two instances of Windows Vista installed (as on a "dual boot" system), it's now asking which one you want to use every time you start up the PC; There's data in the Windows Registry called "Boot Configuration Data" (BCD) which tells Windows where the path to the Windows startup files are. Since your Registry now contains references to two installations, you're having to select one of them every time.

There's a built-in tool to edit this data called "BCDEdit" but it's far from user-friendly.
There is an easier & free equivalent with a graphical interface here: http://vistabootpro.en.softonic.com/

itsmeyarr

itsmeyarr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply. Now i can not start up the pc in either windows selection. The first selection tells me to insert the windows disc and restart then repair. Which when i do it tells me it can not be repaired automatically. The second option when selected just restarts the pc. Should I just send this to get fixed?