Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking to upgrade Motherboard...

• Please log in to reply

Continuous

Continuous

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all as my topic title says I'm looking to upgrade my motherboard I am currently runnning an Asus m4a78 plus board with 4gb of DDR2 ram and an overclocked Nvidia GTS 450 card and an AMD Athlon II x4 620 processor(not overclocked). The main thing I do with my computer is I play World Of Warcraft on it but I am also a heavy Photoshop CS5 user also I'm looking into playing more first person shooters and such on my computer. The main reason I'm looking for a new board is because my current board can't overclock my cpu I put it to the standard 10% overclock and it runs at 1.8GHz and my cpu runs core at 2.6, so you see my dilemma. I do have a price point I'd like to stay within, I would like to stay under $200 USD. I have always used asus boards and never had a problem but I hear good things and bad things about gigabyte and other brands I'd really just like some insight to other brand names to see if I'm being too narrow-minded by only using Asus. The board I did have in mind was the Asus M4N98TD-EVO but I've been told for the $139.99 I'd spend on that I could get a much better board but I'm unsure so like I said just looking for some opinions, which I know everyone has, thank you in advance and I hope to hear some feedback soon.

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I like EVGA with the Nvidia chipset. http://www.evga.com/ EVGA has one of the best return policies. I've always used asus or msi in the past but I found EVGA to be my favorite.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Posted Image

More: http://www.google.co...67204dc07534ddc

Continuous

Continuous

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok my main issue is that I don't know what I need to upgrade cause a friend of mine plays wow with the same graphics card as I do but on his system he runs wow in orgrimmar at 200fps and I can only run 56-60fps.

Here is my setup:
Asus M4A78 Plus Motherboard
4 GB Nvidia DDR2 Ram
Gigabyte Overclocked Nvidia GTS450 1GB Graphics Card(OC to 930 Core Clock)
760W Power Supply
AMD Athlon II x4 620 Processor
1 TB Hard Drive

Here is his setup
Gigabyte P55 USB3 Motherboard
Intel Core i3 Processor
4GB DDR3 G.skill Ram
Gigabyte Overclocked Nvidia GTS450 1GB Graphics Card

So, I ask you why is my computer sucking in frames per second but his is soaring?

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
How are you getting the information about FPS? is it in game? or are you using a stand alone program? you and your friend could try using this program and then compare results. http://www.passmark....products/pt.htm I haven't looked at any bench marks for the amd and intel processors but I would say the Intel i3 maybe a better CPU. I dunno... I would remove the OC from the Vid card and test it, the card could be getting hot on your machine and the card could be throttling down in order to protect it's self. Hard to say, it could be heat, bios settings, video card setting. what OS are you guys using?

elpout

elpout

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Why spend so much on a new board? you could shell that money on something else for your system like for example your video card wich IS your bottleneck.