Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 options while starting comp

• Please log in to reply

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
And sorry, you got there 2 seconds ahead of me.. :tazz:

Advertisements

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
finally found the file =)

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.2="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Here u go

Also, any chance i can reduce the wait til of the default 30 seconds? maybe change that to 5 secs?

Idle-Brain

Idle-Brain

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
He does NOT have a DELL, he HATES DELLS. He threw the DELL he got on his birthday out of the window because his own pc was 10× better.... :tazz:
I wished he gave ME that pc..... it was still faster than mine.

Introduction: I am his friend. I was there while he posted that thingy about that boot.ini.

I myself have no knowledge about it, but his current pc is NO DELL.

Also, about his pc, he only has one harddisk with 1 partition, that's why he screamed for help about his own boot.ini. If that boot should look for the second partition, then how come his windows still loads??

My old pc has this problem too, I copied the boot from his pc and mine worked perfectly normal, I have 5 parts on my dik, each one carries a windows, except the last 2 carry nothing.

*edit* Oh yeah, in case you are crying about my IP-adres being the same as his: I am at school now...

Edited by Idle-Brain, 03 June 2005 - 02:26 AM.

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
As far as I cn see, they all point to the same Windows Install. But, like I said earlier, they are not making your computer slower.

I would sugest (like you asked) you just change the default time to a smaller amount, like 5 sec's.

To do that:
Right click My Computer, click Properties, click Advanced Tab, Click Settings under Startup and Recovery, and change the time on 'Time to display list of operating systems:

Hope that helps.

Ben

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
they are all pointing to the same place

you can alter the time safely by going to

right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup and Recovery section, and set the time to five seconds.

If you want, you can delete these two lines

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.2="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

then save the boot.ini

Click the edit button to bring it up in notepad.

BUT ONLY THOSE TWO LINES

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ic ok thx guys. I should be able to fix the rest, consider this closed =)

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
"right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button "

Hmm, when i choose advance, theres no settings button. Im using win xp pro sp2 btw. Might need another location for it.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
hmmm??

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Can you see the Startup and Recovery section at al?

It should look like this:

*See Attached Image*

Attached Thumbnails

• Properties_Tab.JPG

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ok thx, found it some other way.

=)

The ss helped cos i know i've seen it somewhere, thus enabling me to search with a direction. :tazz:

Advertisements

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Ya, the other way would be to Open control Panel, and double click System.
:tazz:
Glad to be of help.