Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop reformat

• Please log in to reply

theleech

theleech

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi there. My sister has just got a new laptop, so she has passed her old one on to me. Unfortunately it is in dire need of a reformat, and we didn't get an XP disk when we bought it. On the bottom of the laptop is a microsoft product key. Is there anyway i can reformat the laptop and use the key to make it genuine? If not, what would be your suggestion on how i make the laptop as close to reformatted as possible?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
Boot the system with a borrowed XP CD, (same version), and use the Product Key on the bottom of the laptop.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Depending on the age of the laptop there may already be a recovery partition on the hd.
What is the make and model and we can see if such a partition exist and how to access it.
This would format and reload everything as it was brand new from the factory, :D

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Lets take a look at the drives and partitions.

Go to start
Go to run
Type in compmgmt.msc
Click on OK
On the left side under storage...click on disk management.
Make sure the right side showing the drives is expanded so we can see it all.
Take a screen shot showing the drives and partitions.

Attach it to your reply.

theleech

theleech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks for replies everyone, but its no longer necessary. I tried to replace the keyboard and the screen and suffice to say it didn't go well. It now won't power on. It's with a mate whose a computer technician at the moment, but he says its pretty hopeless as i broke a vital connector. But at least I'll know for next time! :D ;) ;)