Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hijackthis log

• Please log in to reply

dianel

dianel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I ran through the tcp/ip directions and all the settings are fine. I went to symantec site and think I must have removed something from the registry after running the winsock fix. How do I fix it?
Any more thoughts on what to do to fix my browser problem?
thanks

Advertisements

dianel

dianel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Just wondering if I am still in the loop. Have you gone out of town? Hope to hear soon. Trying so hard to be patient.
thanks,diane

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I did go out of town and then it was my birthday. I hope to look at everything tonight when I'm through with my day job. :tazz:

dianel

dianel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Happy Birthday!!

I have one coming soon. the 25th, my son's is the 16th, tomorrow! We will be a little busy, he will be 12. Not telling what I will be though at least not in my flesh, but in the spirit I have been born for 14 years.

Anyway I am glad I can at least use my daughters puter to get some things done but so much is being put on hold waiting to get mine up and running. I really hope I am close to getting things back to proper running mode. should I uninstall explorer or something? Maybe reinstall it? I just hate to lose anything though I have no way to save that much stuff.

Well hope to hear from you soon,and again happy birthday,
Diane

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Try this lspfix. It is written for a 98 machine.

http://digital-solut...ft/whndnfix.zip

dianel

dianel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,
I ran the winsock fix you sent, it says no problems. Is it unusual for a fix to take this long? I still can't get e-mail and I know it was from something that was removed when I ran the fix from usetobe but don't know what and browser still not working. Says page cannot be displayed.
Help :tazz:
thank you,
diane

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Please post another log and please tell me what instructions usetobe sent you so I can pinpoint what went wrong.

And, yes, it does take long to fix some problems. It is more difficult when you do it via the internet instead of sitting down in front of the screen and trying it out for yourself.

dianel

dianel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I sent you the directions from usetobe just a few reply's ago. I ran the thing and removed what was listed like he said and no more e-mail after that. I don't know how to find out what I removed so I am shooting in the dark trying to figure it out. please look back and see what I sent about it.
thanks

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:38:09 AM, on 6/20/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\SYMTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON UTILITIES\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON CLEANSWEEP\CSINJECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\STARTER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\GWHOTKEY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSWHEEL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\PASSWORD MANAGER\ACCTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON CLEANSWEEP\CSINSM32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON CLEANSWEEP\Monwow.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\NEW FOLDER\NEW FOLDER\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = ftp=localhost:8081;http=localhost:8081
F1 - win.ini: run=hpfsched
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TIPS] C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\tips\mouse\tips.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Multi-function Keyboard] GWHotKey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NPROTECT] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\Nprotect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AcctMgr] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Password Manager\AcctMgr.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe "Norton SystemWorks"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NPROTECT] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\Nprotect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [CSINJECT.EXE] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\csinject.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccProxy] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\CCPROXY.EXE
O4 - Startup: CleanSweep Smart Sweep-Internet Sweep.lnk = C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\csinsm32.exe

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I know you are frustrated. I would like to resolve this as much as you do, but I do not know what dll you removed when you used usetobe's instructions. If I knew what dll you had removed, that would help. Was it sent in chat or did you PM him? If this was all done on the board, it would have been easier to track and reverse what occurred.

Let's see if this works.

Please run hijack this and put a check mark next to this one.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = ftp=localhost:8081;http=localhost:8081