Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall Dell Factory Image (WIndows 7)

• Please log in to reply

Rosebud13082

Rosebud13082

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello! I need to restore my son's Dell Inspiron N7010 to factory image. There is no utility to do so, but I have all of his disks (requested of Dell and received them).

Yes there's a factory image on d:, and I can get to the "Advanced Options" like they instruct at http://support.dell....nt?docid=362066, BUT the Recovery Option "Dell Factory Image Restore" isn't there as an option.

Dell tells me there must be a virus causing the omission of that choice (?) And the software is out of the 60-day warrantee.

So. I have reformatted and reinstalled the operating system, etc. on many PC's.

Q -
(1) Do I do the same thing on this laptop? Format C:*.*? (IF YOU'RE READING THIS, DO NOT NOT NOT PUT THIS COMMAND IN UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!! IT WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR FILES!)
(2) from d: or from c:?
(3) Then install the drivers and the operating system, etc. .. , just as with a PC?

Thanks for your help!

- Annette

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Format C:*.*

FWIW, that command would return an error message similar to "Invalid drive specification.". Type "format /?" (without the quotes) to see the valid options for the format command.

You do not need to pre-format a hard drive when installing Windows XP, Vista or 7. Simply boot from the Windows CD/DVD and the Windows installation routine will take care of the partitioning and formatting.

Rosebud13082

Rosebud13082

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
No problem. :D

Rosebud13082

Rosebud13082

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK. I'm still researching and trying to find a way to do this and have it look just as from the factory. I figured out on my VISTA computer how to restore to factory image, but when I look in my son's WINDOWS 7 recovery partition, it's empty. But in Windows Explorer, it says about 1/2 of the Recovery partition is used. Do they hide the files in 7, or should I be asking Dell what happened to the Recovery partition files?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Do they hide the files in 7

Yes.