Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build - please comment

• Please log in to reply

bergz22

bergz22

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
This is the build sheet that I have put together, haven't ordered any parts yet, but plan to as soon as I get some input. I know enough about computers to be dangerous :D, but don't know a whole lot to feel confident in picking out parts. This computer will be mostly for gaming, with crossfire and overclocking ability.

Ausus 890fx motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz

Cooler Master Haf 922

Windows 7 64 bit

Xfx black edition 750w

CmHyper cooler 212x

Spinpoint Samsung 1TB

thinking about an ati radeon 6870, one to start, then possibly add another later on.

Undecided about memory
plus a couple of assorted fans.

My main concern is about the motherboard, memory and the video card. I don't know whether to choose between a gigabyte, asus, or msi mobo.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

I think that overall you get more for your dollar with Asus, them there being my choice. Second for me would be EVGA.

The major manufacturers are all good, it's going to be a personal choice for your.

I would try to match the Mobe with the same brand video card and I would go for a GTX 580 1.5GB.

Here is a good site for making direct comparisons of video cards using nine different games. > http://www.digitalve...58&p2=9933&ph=1

I would get a second smaller HDD, (faster if you can afford it) to use for your OS and store your data on the larger drive.

Make sure that the PSU can handle 2 top end cards.

elpout

elpout

• Pip
  • 7 posts
PSU is fine in fact MORE than fine. On hardware topics there is always this craze about getting power supply units with huge numbers when in fact you can search for tests that show it isnt really needed. And new parts are even more power efficient than before.

Shelling 220$ on a mobo is a little overkill, and your getting nothing out of it. Sure it is a great motherboard but too overkill.

The only thing that mobo has that a 100$ asus doesnt is the dual x16 pci express. WICH makes no difference at all vs 1 channel x16 and another x8. Nothing uses x16 bandwith even less when u have 2 video cards splitting things.

But i gotta give it to u the mobo is PRETTY.

Buy a mobo for 110$ put the 110$ for a X6 instead of a x4 = WIN

Or get a SSD for 100$ a small one where u can put games and os and thats another WIN hiper fast loading times and some FPS gain maybe.

And the 6870 is pretty meeeeh, not really worth it the 460 FW can beat it. But seeing how cheap it is compared to the 5870 it is okay i guess. I wouldnt waste the money if i had a crossfire setup i would get a 5850 that can handle any game at max settings with that system. And then add another later.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi bergz22,

Have you decided on the amount of memory you want?
Since your going for 64 bit I assume 4GB or more?

Be sure to get memory that works with your motherboard, you can (most times) find a list of approved and tested memory on the website of your motherboard.

Hope to help,

Mythio