Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to new Belkin router

• Please log in to reply

youngratty

youngratty

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello geeks
:D
I just replaced our old router with a new Belkin N300 router. We have five laptops in the house and the first 4 connected with no problem at all. The 5th laptop (Compaq running Vista) is driving me batty!

I set it up in exactly the same way as the other 4 and it's showing up as connected to the Belkin when I click on 'connecting to a network', but it won't connect to the internet. I've been through all the diagnostic & repair options that come up, but nothing works.

When I go to the 'Network and Sharing Centre' it shows 'Unidentified network (Private network, Access - Local only, Connection - Belkin4467 , signal strength;excellent.
(On another of the laptops which connects just fine, the same screen shows 'Belkin4467(Private network), Access - Local and Internet, Connection - Belkin4467, signal strength; excellent)

When I click on-> 'Customize Network Settings' the Network name comes up as 'unidentified network' and the Location type defaults to 'Public' even when I change it to 'Private'.
(On the working laptop the Network name shows 'Belkin4467' and the Location as 'Private')

On the 'Set Network Location' screen it shows Network name as 'unidentified network' whereas the working laptop shows 'Belkin4467'.

I'm not particularly tech-savvy (it shows huh?) and so I'm hoping there's something glaringly obvious that I've not done/done wrong.

Would really appreciate any help/suggestions anyone can offer.
Many thanks in anticipation!

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Do you have wireless security setup on the router? Try assigning a static ip to the laptop. http://www.howtogeek...a-or-windows-7/ Note: you will have to get the DNS information.

youngratty

youngratty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi- and many thanks for responding.

Short answer to your first point - I don't know if I have wireless security setup on the router. Just got it out the box and plugged it in. Is there a way I can look to find out??

Tried looking for DNS info by going to Network connections > lan > properties > internet protocol (TCP/IP)> Properties, but there are no details in the Preferred DNS server box.
Am I looking in the right place??? :D

Thanks for your patience with a rookie!

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
You do understand how to setup the pc to use a static ip? Sorry if mislead you.....Try this, on a computer that is connected to the internet, go to start / right click on network / go to properties / look for "view status" click on details and look for "IPV 4 DNS servers" those are the dns servers you need to enter into the pc that is not connecting. You could also uninstall the wireless net work card in device manager and reinstall it on the pc not connecting. You can set up wireless security after you resolve the connection problem.

youngratty

youngratty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
:D I realise I don't understand enough about what I'm doing here - afraid I don't know how to set up the laptop to use a static ip. Nor can I find details ofthe IPV 4 DNS servers.
I just tried connecting the laptop direct from the router using an ethernet cable and it connected to the internet just fine. Ironically, the laptop in question (as well as the other 4 in the house) connected just fine using our old router & I only bought a new one as we'd had the old one for 10 years & it was dropping the internet connection.
Sorry to appear so dim about all this ;) I was hoping it would be something simple and straighforward I'd failed to do...

Tanks again for your time and efforts...

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi, if your computer is connecting to the router but not the Internet then a likely explanation is that you have not applied the correct "wireless" password to your computer.The password MUST be the same one that is set in your Router (in the Wireless settings)
NOTE passwords are case sensitive.... bHk)j*196% is not the same as BHk)J*196%
Regards
paws

youngratty

youngratty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello Paws and thanks for your suggestion.
I've ruled that one out - entered & re-entered, checked and double checked, so it's not that.

Have tried installing the Belkin software directly onto the laptop via the disk (all the other laptops connected via usb) and still get the same result.
It comes up with 'you've successfully connected to Belkin.4467', but that's as far as it gets...

The only difference in what shows on the Network & sharing centre screen is on this one it says 'Unidentified network (Private network, Access - Local only, Connection - Belkin4467, whereas the working laptops show - 'Belkin4467(Private network), Access - Local and Internet, Connection - Belkin4467.

I'm hoping that might be a clue which someone might pick up on (eternal optomist :D )

Thanks again for your input

youngratty

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Ok, Have you checked that your Firewall is not stopping access?
Regards
paws

youngratty

youngratty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I just checked the Windows Firewall screen & the Belkin appears checked as an 'exception', so I guess it's not that is it?

- youngratty

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Try this, on a computer that is connected to the internet, go to start / right click on network / go to properties / look for " view status " click on details and then post a screen shot of what you see.

You could also uninstall the wireless net work card in device manager and reinstall it