Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaned up unused programs and now internet doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

sarahg

sarahg

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525, bought in 2008 if it matters, Windows Vista home edition 32b.

Last night I was cleaning up some old programs to free up some space, and removed BVRP netwaiting and digital line detect, PC-Cillin (which I haven't been using in over a year anyways), MS Office Accounting, and Business Contacts Manager for Outlook (Outlook was removed already, when I uninstalled MS Office 10 after my beta license ran out). None of them should have affected whether my computer can access the internet.

Afterwards, my computer refused to connect to the internet. It says that it is connected to my home wireless connection with limited connectivity, and when I run diagnose, various errors come up -- it says that the network adapter or wireless card are experiencing issues, to make sure my IP bindings are correct, or to move the laptop because there could be possible interference. I already tried to do a system restore but the only restore point available was right after I had deleted most of these programs so the only program I was able to restore was PC-Cillin. I downloaded drivers for my network adapter and wireless card on my netbook and installed them on the laptop, didn't work. I checked to make sure that IPV4 and IPv6 are selected in the configuration for my network adapter, they are. I've searched for a free download of Digital Line Detect just to see if uninstalling that was the problem, but I can't find it. When I do ipconfig/all on the command line prompt, everything says "Media disconnected." I have also rebooted my router, no change. My netbook (windows 7) has no issues so I know it's not interference or a problem with my internet connection.

Is there anything I can try? I have already tried most of what I found through google. I'm in France but my computers are American, if that means anything.

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
try to uninstall the network adapter in device manager and then reinstall it.

sarahg

sarahg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

try to uninstall the network adapter in device manager and then reinstall it.

I opened up device manager and found this (attached file).

Seems my wifi card and network adapter should be working properly but everything associated with Trend Micro is not. Does this mean that deleting PC Cillin did something? The license had been up for a year but I still had to download something off the Trend Micro website to get it fully removed. Any way I can fix this?

Can I uninstall and reinstall the network adapter safely without the Windows CDs? I don't have them with me.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Edited by sarahg, 28 November 2010 - 11:31 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Uninstall all those adapters and then reboot the computer. They will reinstall themselves

sarahg

sarahg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It's not letting me uninstall anything. I click "Okay" and it flashes back to the device manager with all devices installed.

There is still a huge folder of Trend Micro antivirus stuff that it's not letting me delete, even though I've uninstalled the program. I found the read me file and it says that you cannot uninstall the personal firewall. Could that be the problem?

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
How many accounts do you have on the pc, user accounts? And is the account your using an administrative account? Try to reinstall the trend micro and then uninstall it to see if that helps. You should also make sure your system is functioning correctly. try using the chkdsk command to check your hard drive and use a free program like http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/ to easily clean your system. In the ccleaner program there is section to prevent programs from starting when windows starts, use it. Post back.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Reinstall trend micro and use the instructions in thispage, by Trend Micro, dealing with how to uninstall their firewall.

sarahg

sarahg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your help guys.

I used the CCleaner program to clean up some old files but Trend Micro wasn't in the list of programs I could disable. I found the correct TM Diagnostic toolkit on the site, and ran the general uninstall, but the button to remove the firewall was greyed out.

I removed all the Trend Micro stuff from the registry editor and deleted the program files. The firewall is still showing up in my device manager. Tried to install a new version of Trend Micro antivirus so that I could then remove the firewalls before uninstalling it. Even with every visible Trend Micro file gone from my computer, it says that there's an incompatible program (PC Cillin) and runs into an error while uninstalling, so the new version won't install. I found a solution from one person who had my problem with XP, but he was missing a tcpip.sys file and mine is still there.

It still won't let me uninstall the wifi card and network adapter behind the firewall.

Is there anything else I can try?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Did you use the correct removal tool? There is 1 for XP and 1 for Vista 32 bit and 1 for Vista 64 bit.
links

Also scroll down to the bottom of this for some more tools.

You can also try something like Revo Uninstaller

sarahg

sarahg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I used the removal tool specifically for Dell computers with Vista/7 32b.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please do the following: reinstall Trend Micro and reinstall PC-Cillin, even if you have it restored (re. your first post). Now boot In safe mode and remove PC-Cillin first, Trend Micro's firewall next and, last, Trend Micro's antivirus.

sarahg

sarahg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Found the solution! It was here: http://community.tre...ight/true#M2598

Now I just hope it doesn't happen again when I delete this new version I installed trying to remove the firewall...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Well done. It looks like you have to be a Trend Micro employee to be able to remove their program. Awful.