Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The following file is missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply

the_big_d

the_big_d

• Pip
  • 5 posts
For the past few weeks iv been having trouble booting my machine up, getting the blue screen of death a few times but then it would eventually work & operate ok untill switched off again. Yesterday i went to switch it on & got the message Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system & the system will not boot up (even in safe mode) so im using my laptop to do this.
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD rom
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
I've googled this to death & it seems to be a very common problem & ive been trying loads but i cant seem to find the solution for me, I dont want to re install windows as there are documents i dont want to loose
I can launch the repair recovery cosole thingy & can get as far as the command prompt type screen but when i try to type the command copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak as per the microsoft KB article i just get Access is denied.
Also tried the chkdsk /r command & just get the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.
Please help me, im tearing my hair out.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
First thing I'd do is test the hard drive to make sure it isn't on it's last leg.

Hard Drive Diagnostic Tools

Hard drive diagnostic utilities are used primarily for determining the physical condition of your hard drive, (drive integrity and read/write verification). If you are having computer problems which you suspect are hard drive related, you can test it with one of the following:

If the hard drive is failing, no amount of fiddling with software will fix it. It simply needs to be replaced.

the_big_d

the_big_d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK thanks for your help so far, I have followed your instructions (its a samsung SATA HDD by the way)
It passed all of the tests apart from the last one READ SURFACE SCAN & i got the following results:-
C:19412 H:1 S:904 Error: Ecc error
C:24526 H:1 S:921 Error: Ecc error
C:26375 H:3 S:433 Error: Ecc error
C:35723 H:0 S:859 Error: Ecc error
Error : This drive has some defects
Error occured test loop number 1
It then recomended to erase the HDD & re scan but I would loose all data.
So what do these numbers & codes mean ? Is the HDD screwed ? Is there any way of saving my documents ?
Any further advice welcome.

the_big_d

the_big_d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Anyone ??

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
The hard drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

(Need to get your stuff copied off quickly before it does fail).

All hard drives fail. They're mechanical with moving parts. Moving parts wear. And once they've worn beyond specs the hard drive can no longer read/write from/to the platters reliably.

the_big_d

the_big_d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

The hard drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

(Need to get your stuff copied off quickly before it does fail).

So how would you go about doing that when i cat even get windows to boot up ?

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
This how-to should answer your question.

the_big_d

the_big_d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi thanks for everyones help, just an update, got a new HDD yesterday (needed more space anyway) & installed windows XP on it & got the old HDD put in & slowly but surley im getting all my stuff off it. already got the most important stuff so it's looking good. Thanks again for your help.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You're more than welcome. :D

Good to hear you're getting your stuff copied off the old HD. Thanks for posting back.