Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Appropriateness Of Component Parts Choices

• Please log in to reply

Mexbungalows

Mexbungalows

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am choosing some component parts to take with me to Mexico. I do not have the room nor the money to take a complete PC. I am not a gamer and I am on a near starvation social-security budget. A computer that costs five hundred dollars in the USA costs over a thousand in Mexico and the operating systems and software are all in spanish.

My old computer has an AMD processor rated at 2.2gHz but it is so old the motherboard required an AGP video card. It's a five year old system.

The individual who is going to build the PC in Mexico asked me to get the following parts in the USA, (1) The motherboard (2) CPU (3) Video card (4) Power supply (5) RAM (6) Hard drive.

Eduardo informed me that a dual-core AMD CPU would be "plenty" for the type of service I would ask of the computer. I ended up getting an AMD Athlon II 250 CPU that says it has 3.0 gHz speed with 2.0 MB total cash. This is the one and only part that I have purchased.

He advised me to stick with two brands of Motherboard, ASUS, or Gigabyte. Eduardo said that DDR2 RAM "would be plenty past enough".

So now I am looking for a basic motherboard that costs fifty dollars? Something with onboard video? Something that an add-on video card would compliment and not replace? Both the motherboard and add on video card complimenting one another? Do I really need more than 512 MB total video for non video intensive graphics. My older 5 year old computer's graphics were really perked up with a 256 MB video card but it has to be really inferior to a new system right? I have no sense of perspective here. How much "better" are the graphics in a new motherboard?

The old computer had 1 GB of RAM and I seemed to not need more. I figure 2 GB of DDR2 RAM should be plenty, right?

Around 400 watts of power supply should be enough?

I see Seagate 1TB hard drives on sale for around fifty dollars. Many times larger than my current drive.

I need to pinch pennies, and I am factoring in shipping costs.

Thanks for your help

Advertisements

elpout

elpout

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Isnt a better choice simply a budget laptop? u can get one easily for 300$ 400$

AMD is the best choice for budget-performance

About the vid card if i were in your position i would get a cheap video card. On board video is kinda meh really bad hogs doing simple things. So yeah u want something thats not really for gaming but for doing simple things like watching high quality videos or having multiple things going on.

And i would suggest if u wanna save a LOT of money that u buy the pc TODAY or TOMORROW because of all the discounts tomorrow is cyber monday.

Look on newegg.com people share wishlists with things they wanna buy and they post some really good PC builds for all kind of needs going from the ultimate gamign PC to the tight budget PC

For example

http://secure.newegg...Number=15286326

296$ a PC including EVERYTHING even keyboard and mouse

In fact ill make one for u

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
250 Watt PSU?
250 Gig HD?
Intel setup when Mex has already purchased the cpu. AMD cpu not Intel.
Now if I was to suggest something I would say send back the cpu you already bought and buy this setup HERE.
Complete system with a 450 watt PSU and a 1 TB hd.
2 gigs of memory and though the cpu shows 2.1 ghz it is faster then what you have now because it is a triple core cpu.
Video built onboard but I'm sure it is better then what you have now since this is a newer mobo.
This is the same case I got for my son's system and it's kinda neat looking with the red lights on it. :D
The one thing I don't see you have mentioned is what OS you plan on installing on the system?
I don't know what shipping would be but that you can find out since I don't know where you live.
If you would like to attempt to put the system together yourself we have a great tutorial made by one of our own Techs HERE.
It can assist you in building your new system on your own step by step with pictures to help show you what to do.. Of course we are here to help if needed also. ;)